The Sidekick

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Roboskeleton
Champion
Champion

The Sidekick

Post by Roboskeleton » Mon May 06, 2019 10:36 am

The Sidekick
Stats
Skill dice: 1D8
Speed: 7"
Armor: 1D8
Cost: 8

Sidekicks must be assigned to a hero. If the sidekick is more then 6" away from it's assigned hero; the sidekick will turn into a minifig until he is less then 6" from the hero. Sidekicks may preform heroic feats, but they use a D4 instead of a D6. The hero and the sidekick may preform a heroic feat together rolling a D6 + D4. If the hero is cranky then the sidekick is also cranky. If the hero is in danger the sidekick may redshirt with out rolling any dice. If the sidekick is killed he considered to be unconscious for the rest of the battle. He also is captured by the player that killed him; forcing the hero to rescue the sidekick.

If you have any input on this, or would like to share a game that you tested the sidekick please reply.
I am working on an other unit called the stitcher.
Last edited by Roboskeleton on Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Race Bannon
Champion
Champion

Re: The Sidekick

Post by Race Bannon » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:03 pm

I do like the idea of powering up to hero level- and learning feats that the hero accomplished.
Wouldn't a sidekick be apt to sacrifice themselves for the hero, though?
Especially if they are close by...maybe extend the effect range so the sidekick doesn't get caught up in all the heat coming their way?
Race Bannon

F-1 driver,
SCUBA diver,
Judo thrower,
Evil mower.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:08 pm

I like the idea of a sidekick, but I don't like the idea of repeating feats. I want feats to feel unique; for awhile I even considered adding a rule that says you can never attempt the same feat twice.

Here are some ideas:

Sidekick can perform feats under a Hero's direction. "Maneuver 12, like we practiced!" Hero must be able to communicate with sidekick.

Sidekick performs feats, but less reliably, rolling a :d4: against a :d6: in the heroic feat roll. This gives poor odds compared to the hero:
  • sidekick feat: 38% success, 58% failure, 4% nothing happens
  • hero feat: 55% success, 42% failure, 3% nothing happens
But if they perform a feat feat together, they roll both the :d4: and :d6: and keep the highest roll:
  • team feat: 64% success, 35% failure, 1% nothing happens

Sidekicks only become cranky if their hero has another sidekick.

The sidekick is the hero's weak point. If sidekick is captured, the hero must rescue him. If sidekick is incapacitated or killed, the hero must retrieve the body and leave the field with it.

A sidekick who isn't rescued becomes a heroic archenemy.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cakeman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:32 pm

I like it!

"If a sidekick is killed, the sidekick is captured instead." or are there some form of capture-rules I'm unaware of?

Maybe a cage magically appears, or some other forms of restraint, to show the captured sidekicks status and the sidekick can take no actions other then calling for help or telling the captor all the horrible things the hero will do to them when the hero arrives.

Roboskeleton
Champion
Champion

Post by Roboskeleton » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:49 am

Race Bannon wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:03 pm
I do like the idea of powering up to hero level- and learning feats that the hero accomplished.
Wouldn't a sidekick be apt to sacrifice themselves for the hero, though?
Especially if they are close by...maybe extend the effect range so the sidekick doesn't get caught up in all the heat coming their way?
True. Just wasn't thinking about redshirts at the time. I just changed the rules for the sidekick, so he can redshirt with out rolling any dice.
Did you know that 60% of statistics are made up on the spot.
If you say "Gold pool" really slowly it sounds like gullible.

Roboskeleton
Champion
Champion

Post by Roboskeleton » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:56 am

Thanks for the feedback so for.
I'm still thinking about changing some of the rules.
I made several changes. Like the speed was changed to 7", so the sidekick can keep up with the hero.
Did you know that 60% of statistics are made up on the spot.
If you say "Gold pool" really slowly it sounds like gullible.