BrikSpace

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

What would you like to see out of Brikspace?

Awesome not-too-complex space combat!
30%
Cool space combat with some tactics thrown in there.
46%
Make it more like Battefleet Gothic or something (pretty complex, but fun).
22%
I just wanna build the ships, man.
2%

Total votes: 46

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

BrikSpace

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:52 am

Hey, guys! Ever made any cool microscale ships, only to have them sit in an inconvenient location and look nice? kidko and I are attempting to put a use to these ships by bringing you BrikSpace. It started originally as an attempt to mesh Vanguard Space and Brikwars, but has ended up branching from that slightly, and leaning more towards the Brikwars side of things. It was started a long, long while ago, and I recently took it upon myself to attempt to revamp it and get it moving again.

Now, what I would like you guys to do is look through the current rules (not much, but a start) and see if you guys can drudge any comments, complaints, hinks and bugs to be fixed, or what-not. Suggestions are of course always welcome and will be taken into serious consideration.

EDIT: since most of the rules we have involve the actual construction f the ships themselves, try creating a few (not with LEGO, although if you want to, be my guest) to see how well everything gels together.

These are the experimental rules for BrikSpace.

I don't as-of-yet know if kidko will be back to help me on this one; I may be alone, he expressed little interest last time I brought it up.

I haven't been on in quite a while, but for those who happen to remember me at all, I'm back.

AND, sorry if the link doesn't work properly. Google Notebook usually gives me heck about posting a link to it, even if it's published.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:13 am

It really looks like it's grown up a lot from back in the day! I remember the old ones being needlessly complicated, but this one looks a lot better.

Also, A frigate is generally smaller than a cruiser.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:15 am

Really? Whenever I hear Frigate, I think a generally large, all-purpose ship. Maybe I've been trolling the Homeworld 2 forums too much, though. Any suggestions, Horseman, or does all you see look fine so far?
-=[ Visage ]=-

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:29 am

I just skimmed over it, I didn't actually do an in-depth look at it. I'd personally try to stay away from specifically naming engines, and referring to each engine type as "this one's bigger" or "this one's smaller". And then of course just limit engine size to ship size + X.

As for frigates vs. cruisers, a frigate is usually a standard warship hanging on the small side, and is based within a fleet of other ships. By definition, a cruiser is the smallest size ship that can realistically be the head of it's own fleet, or travel alone without support.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:32 am

Alright, Frigate and Cruiser classes switched. Currently going through and fixing everything else involving those two classes. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll see what I can do about engines next.
-=[ Visage ]=-

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:33 am

you're back.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:37 am

engines was just an example. You had other name-specific stuff like iridium armor, which I'd just rename to heavy armor. You don't need to hold the player's hand when it comes to flavor, they'll do it themselves.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:39 am

Horseman: Alright, thanks. Dually noted and taken into account :)

Birdman: Indeed I am.

Also, the link should update itself whenever I save the file. I'll use this thread to both provide updates and to receive the people's comments/concerns/suggestions, and (more than likely) implement them. So, "stay tuned", for lack of a better term, and keep track if you're interested in this lasting longer than it did before (about three days).

EDIT: Upcoming are the rules for drones and missiles. Moving fast today, I'm a little hyper-focused. It'll probably slow tomorrow. But right now I'm pumping out the updates. Also added more options to ship attachments with the Other Weapons section.

EDIT #2: I'm also going to overhaul the old "damage rating" system, it doesn't work. Replace it something more Brikwars-y.
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:35 pm

Great to see some specific brikspace rules!

Right now I have a smallFleet of microships so these will be very useful in the future.

The only problem I see is the damage system, as it is now a group of four fighters with small weapons could take down a mothership with heavy armor with relative ease. Maybe you should add structure levels into the equation?

Other than that these rules are great and the effort is much appreciated, keep up the good work!
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:48 pm

Structure levels! Brilliant! See, I knew I could count on you guys to help.

Thanks so much, I was having a ton of trouble with that system, but couldn't figure out what to do.

And great that you've got a small fleet there! They look nice, if a little small in these standards. I'll have to play you sometime, if we can manage it. I do appreciate you taking the time to read over the rules, though.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:39 pm

yeah Master Ecabob, get on board with the SSPE
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:50 pm

UPDATE: Added Structure Rating under the Ship Construction rules. Still in the process of editing.

Also finally edited the missiles. Any suggestions for NEW missile types are welcome. Same deal with drones.

I also have a question to pose to the group so far: armor (light-heavy) is currently free. Should it remain so, after the Structure Rating edit? I mean, it's realistic sure. Now most of the ships are pretty darn tough, but I'm not sure if the exclusion of armor is exactly the solution.

Also, with Structure added in, now NOTHING can break through a Mothership's armor. I'll have to look into that.

And anyone else feel like the Mothership needs a different general title? It feels too... I dunno. It's not a cool enough name, I suppose. Maybe I'm paranoid.
-=[ Visage ]=-

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:02 pm

Just change Mothership to Flagship.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:03 pm

or Command Vessel
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:10 pm

Hmm. I like both. I think Flagship works better, though. Shorter, more succinct.
-=[ Visage ]=-