I want you to be

The Man in the High Castle

Post by RedRover » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:33 pm

Anyone watch it?

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Re: The Man in the High Castle

Post by Keldoclock » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:25 am

I read the book last year, and saw the series now.

It's OK, I give the book a 6/10 on the scale of scifi books, but a 9/10 on the scale of alternate history books, since invariably alternate history books are terrible.

I give the show a 7/10, because sci-fi tv shows are also universally terrible.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:32 am

I watched the pilot. Not a strong hook but I'll try to dig into it more later.

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:47 am

I watched the pilot when Amazon first released it. I would have watched the series last weekend but I watched Jessica Jones instead. And this weekend I was busy. So next weekend?
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:05 am

Is Jessica jones good? I have also never seen arrow, flash, or daredevil... Will that lessen my experience?

Ham
A 701 error is fine too.
A 701 error is fine too.

Post by Ham » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:17 am

RedRover wrote:Is Jessica jones good? I have also never seen arrow, flash, or daredevil... Will that lessen my experience?
I personally felt it was mediocre as a whole, but I got yelled at by a friend who said it doesn't need to have good writing or plot to be significant so long as it has a stronk female lead. Daredevil was much better imo.
stubby wrote: my floppy penis gets first dibs on it for tradition's sake, but it doesn't seem likely that he'll want to stick around long enough to play.
Wightbagel died for our sins.

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:36 am

I liked Daredevil, but I thought Jessica Jones was better.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:24 pm

I said this somewhere else:
Jessica Jones is a worthy new addition to the Netflix superhero show lineup. The story and characters are, on the whole, more strongly written than Daredevil...though nothing in Jones even touches D'Onofrio's transcendent performance. Colter's performance alone has me fairly pumped for a Luke Cage show. Tennant is wonderful as always, dominating the screen when he appears. Though...I found him somewhat difficult to buy into as the villain. At the same time you know he's responsible for some fucked up, repugnant shit, he's also delightfully charismatic. It's a little confusing but if the casting choice was intentionally aimed in that direction, I can see what they were going for and that alone speaks for the bold choices the show sometimes makes. The show is described as "modern noir," but I don't know that I'd go that far despite Jones herself being a magnificent representation of the archetypal hardboiled gumshoe. And I can't help but see that as a good thing. The show forges its own narrative and theme, even as it borrows from loads of other sources, pays homage to its own source material in light, classy ways, and drops the occasional cheeky reference to the Marvel Universe as expected. They did a better job of weaving in a subplot this time around and so I would look forward more to a continuation of Jones than anything else at this point.
When I wrote that, I was just comparing and evaluating show strength. On further reflection, yeah, I'd agree that the show has some very strong and important social commentary.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:36 pm

Is it good as a standalone, or should I preface it by catching up on some other shows? If the latter, which ones?

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:34 pm

A character from Daredevil appears in one episode but it's not required viewing. They share a setting but they stand alone (until the tie-in series with Luke Cage). Jessica Jones also mentions stuff from Avengers but that's not important either.

The other stuff you mentioned before (arrow and flash) are DC so they're not related at all.

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:34 pm

What would be a better use of my time: Watching Daredevil or watching the new Captain America trailer for 10 hours?
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:13 pm

Silent-sigfig wrote:What would be a better use of my time: Watching Daredevil or watching the new Captain America trailer for 10 hours?
Drinking bleach.

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:14 pm

RedRover wrote:Is it good as a standalone, or should I preface it by catching up on some other shows? If the latter, which ones?
For your information:

Marvel's Super-Shows: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Agents of SHIELD, and their spin off, Agent Carter

DC's Super-Shows: Arrow, Flash, The Legends of Tomorrow, Gotham, and Supergirl.

Each are a different company, so to watch Jessica Jones, you don't need to watch any of the DC shows.

All the Marvel shows exist within the same universe as the Avenger's universe.

For the DC shows, there are technically three different universes

"Arrow"-verse: Arrow, Flash, and LofT, called as such since Arrow was the first show in the series.

Gotham is supposed to be the origin story for the Batman that Ben Affleck is playing in the new movies

And finally Supergirl has no idea what it's trying to do. It was first pitched to be part of the Arrowverse, but because CBS didn't like that, it now has it's own universe independent from everything.

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:15 am

I hated Daredevil because I don't like dark cop shows and ultraviolence. I love SHIELD and the Arrowverse, I found Gotham kind of dumb and Supergirl really cringy. Will I like JJ?
Just Monika

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:31 pm

Insert_blank wrote:I don't like dark cop shows and ultraviolence. I love SHIELD and the Flash
Because the other way doesn't make sense. Will you like JJ? Dunno, probably not.