Angry at Math

Also, butts.

Moderators: Blitzen, Almighty Benny, Falk

Darkstorm
oh god

Re: Angry at Math

Post by Darkstorm » Wed May 24, 2017 11:24 am

Captain-Camper wrote:Did you make it into Berkeley at 14?
almost there-
at 15 I will graduate HS
but I can prob get into any university I want, I have a perfect gpa so far, and as advanced classes that my school would let me take :| :fist:
so younger, and almost as smart.
Darkstorm will rise! Someday? Probably tomorrow.
My Old Faction:Darkstorm Empire, New Faction: Phoenician Empire My Alliance:Kult of the Darkness
I swear I'm not dead, just dead inside
My bi-annual visit trend continues! See you in 6 months as usual.

Darkstorm
oh god

Post by Darkstorm » Wed May 24, 2017 11:37 am

by the way, does Berkeley seem like a good university? I mean, obviously it is a prestigious academic university, but do you like the teachers, the facility itself, etc., or what? I plan on getting a degree in astrophysics and various related advanced astronomy and physics categories of science, so I have been looking around at different post-high school colleges and universities. Your honest opinion would be valued.
My Old Faction:Darkstorm Empire, New Faction: Phoenician Empire My Alliance:Kult of the Darkness

Colette
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by Colette » Wed May 24, 2017 12:22 pm

Darkstorm wrote:by the way, does Berkeley seem like a good university? I mean, obviously it is a prestigious academic university, but do you like the teachers, the facility itself, etc., or what? I plan on getting a degree in astrophysics and various related advanced astronomy and physics categories of science, so I have been looking around at different post-high school colleges and universities. Your honest opinion would be valued.
That's cute. You'll probably end up changing to something else and become a lawyer or doctor or sell your soul to Google, Goldman, McKinsey, Exxon Mobil, or some other cushy company if you really are that capable.

If you're as smart as you say you are you'll actually stick to studying astrophysics, and then end up working for Renaissance Technologies or Jane Street anyway instead of doing physics after you get your Ph.D.

If you're smarter than me then you'll realize that money isn't everything and you'll actually try to help advance humanity or its knowledge base.
ImageImageImage
Because everything's better with math.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Wed May 24, 2017 12:27 pm

Wow you are so smart, I can't even understand why you didnt answer his question. :D

Darkstorm
oh god

Post by Darkstorm » Wed May 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Tzan wrote:Wow you are so smart, I can't even understand why you didnt answer his question. :D
You noticed that too, huh?

and Colette:
I'm not trying to one-up you here, but I honestly don't care about the money, as long as I have enough to live on and to buy a semi-steady stream of bricks with. I enjoy science, and not just the nice big flashy facts. Taking the tedious time to study something I am genuinely interested in is something I often do, much to the dismay of many of my previous irl friends (my friends now mainly consist of other people who like science as much as I do, my age or not). Pursuing science is something I have always wanted to do, and has been one of the only two things I have loved since my early childhood, the other being Legos. When I asked about the university, I wasn't joking.

and of those 3, I probably will end up with the 2nd option. Who knows though? 3rd option is the obvious goal, but I could end up anywhere from being the next Bill Gates to being a homeless beggar. Life is just full of chances isn't it!

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed May 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Colette wrote:If you're smarter than me then you'll realize that money isn't everything and you'll actually try to help advance humanity or its knowledge base.
If you're smarter than Colette then you'll realize that advancing knowledge isn't everything and you'll actually try to help make the world a better place.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Wed May 24, 2017 1:43 pm

So without your permission I just sent your question to my friend Leslie.
She has a PhD from Harvard in Physics ( I think ).
She is on the team that sent the probe to Pluto and is currently working on the data that has come back.
She is person who plotted the course and made the final adjustments a few weeks out.

So we'll see if she has any thoughts. She has answered stupid forum questions before.

Darkstorm
oh god

Post by Darkstorm » Wed May 24, 2017 1:54 pm

stubby wrote:
Colette wrote:If you're smarter than me then you'll realize that money isn't everything and you'll actually try to help advance humanity or its knowledge base.
If you're smarter than Colette then you'll realize that advancing knowledge isn't everything and you'll actually try to help make the world a better place.
True. Advancing knowledge is only one way to make the world a better place, and it seems to rarely work due to the ignorance of the general population. When there is a huge scientific breakthrough, it seems to always at first be weaponized for the military, then end up in the hands of the general public to play with, "bettering" the lives of many. I don't plan on discovering the first string (string theory), or figuring out how to achieve absolute zero, or building a rocket to Mars, or anything else- however, if nobody tries, then everyone will fail. So by being one of those people that try to achieve those goals, I would be making the world a better place. While knowledge isn't everything, it's what people do with that knowledge that makes the world a better place.

P.S. Thanks Tzan!

Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cakeman » Wed May 24, 2017 3:26 pm

It's ok to be smart and just manage your own life too. So many things outside your control will happen, not all gifted people get to the point when they actually add to human knowledge etc, and it's ok anyway. But a goal is good :)

Darkstorm
oh god

Post by Darkstorm » Wed May 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Cakeman wrote:It's ok to be smart and just manage your own life too. So many things outside your control will happen, not all gifted people get to the point when they actually add to human knowledge etc, and it's ok anyway. But a goal is good :)
true enough.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed May 24, 2017 3:42 pm

Darkstorm wrote:Advancing knowledge is only one way to make the world a better place, and it seems to rarely work due to the ignorance of the general population. When there is a huge scientific breakthrough, it seems to always at first be weaponized for the military, then end up in the hands of the general public to play with, "bettering" the lives of many.
DARPA and the like are our big source of major breakthroughs, sure -- but something close to zero percent of the advancement of knowledge comes through huge breakthroughs. The vast majority of it comes through the plodding incremental progress of guys with a bunch of money paying all the smart kids to figure out how to make money 1% faster.

We discover atomic theory or something once or twice a century, but the work of figuring out how to make cigarettes slightly more addictive, or cheaper to manufacture, or how to skirt health regulations, or ship cartons more efficiently to more markets where health regulations aren't a problem - that advancement of knowledge is happening every day. Like, we are really good at making cigarettes now. Whoever had the job of advancing that knowledge advanced the shit out of it.

So I'm not convinced that advancing knowledge automatically betters the lives of humanity as a whole. Because of the way the incentives are set up, right now we're usually advancing the knowledge of how to better the lives of a very few at the expense of the very many.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Wed May 24, 2017 3:59 pm

It seems that smart people not answering the question is contagious.

----------------------------------------
Hmm, I think science might last him through the decades more than Logos will.
But who am I to say?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixbymaia/19122314634

-- Leslie
--------------------------------------

It looks just like her too.

Captain-Camper
seriously?

Post by Captain-Camper » Wed May 24, 2017 4:33 pm

Colette wrote:
Darkstorm wrote:by the way, does Berkeley seem like a good university? I mean, obviously it is a prestigious academic university, but do you like the teachers, the facility itself, etc., or what? I plan on getting a degree in astrophysics and various related advanced astronomy and physics categories of science, so I have been looking around at different post-high school colleges and universities. Your honest opinion would be valued.
That's cute. You'll probably end up changing to something else and become a lawyer or doctor or sell your soul to Google, Goldman, McKinsey, Exxon Mobil, or some other cushy company if you really are that capable.

If you're as smart as you say you are you'll actually stick to studying astrophysics, and then end up working for Renaissance Technologies or Jane Street anyway instead of doing physics after you get your Ph.D.

If you're smarter than me then you'll realize that money isn't everything and you'll actually try to help advance humanity or its knowledge base.
Colettism
Actually though, don't be afraid to work for big banks, they pay pretty well and you've probably already sold your soul to them.
"Tallyho lads, snuggle the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers"

Colette
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by Colette » Wed May 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Darkstorm wrote:...but I honestly don't care about the money, as long as I have enough to live on and to buy a semi-steady stream of bricks with...
You know, I used to be almost exactly the same way. Many of the smartest people I know, the ones that I really acknowledged, were like that too. So many of them, myself included, wanted to be doctors or researchers or scientists or some other respectable occupations. And now I check where they are on LinkedIn and they're at Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley or Blackrock or some VC firm or the White House or something like that. Or maybe they stuck to their original aspirations but now they're working for Exxon Mobil or Big Pharma (I know someone who literally worked directly under Martin Shkreli).

Over the years I've grown increasingly pissed off, more desperate, and less inclined to help the world or make it a better place. You probably have a mental picture of me from all the bragging I tend to be fond of, but aside from occasional venting about workloads and my parents on the chat I've never really talked about the bad shit that happens or I see happen. And I know I have it a lot better than 95% of people, which doesn't make it any better, it just means the rest of the world is that much shittier. The elite, the tops of their classes, people like me and my friends, at least have a chance to compete and rise above the squalor. It's too hard to save the whole world - just saving yourself is hard enough, and you get bitter enough and realize the world isn't worth saving. I don't know how ordinary people get through it - they must have resigned themselves to their mediocrity and circumstances.

I can't speak to the rest of the world, but American society is a rigged game where the losers are pissed off and the extremely few winners are also pissed off. The only people who are happy are the cheaters and the gamemasters. And when the winners come up to them, they're so burned out from the struggle and privation of the game that they join them in their unsympathetic apathy and nothing changes. Can mere ants stop an oncoming boot? Society has been rigged since its conception, for thousands of years, the only credit is that as corrupt as still is there's been a slow improvement over millennia. Why bother trying to change an implacable, faceless, monolithic system?

On the original question re: Darkstorm, I would not recommend UCB. I got accepted to better places, but I only went there because they offered me a full scholarship and my parents were going through and still are in difficult times. Go to the best place you can or you will regret it.

This is the part where stubby comes up with a clever retort for everything and tries to convince you the world is a better place than that. Fuck that shit. No amount of clever forum posts will change what I have seen with my own eyes in my short life so far. It's true that I probably view the world inaccurately - it's probably worse than I give it credit for, I'm probably still in disbelief and clinging to some shreds of childish naïvete.

Thaaaat being said - I did only say "many", not "all" my friends were like that. A rare few actually did persist and seem to be truly motivated by making the world a better place or the joy of discovery - the world would have keeled over a long time ago if it was 100% pure evil. If that's you, then good for you. I didn't mean to disparage your goals or dreams initially, it's just I'm a jaded person.
ImageImageImage
Because everything's better with math.

Captain-Camper
seriously?

Post by Captain-Camper » Wed May 24, 2017 4:50 pm

The game may be rigged but if you face the "monolithic" machine with a grin and an acceptance of your fate, you may find yourself climbing the poorly strung ladder to a greater position of power.
"Tallyho lads, snuggle the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers"