BrikWars Officialer Chat

Also, butts.

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Re: BrikWars Officialer Chat

Post by Natalya » Fri May 20, 2016 10:22 am

Overwatch_Elite wrote:I did some more research into based on the skype chat we had the other night. Founder of Discord is Jason Citron, who was the founder of a service called "OpenFeint", a program intended to serve as a hub for games and social media (similar to the purpose of Discord). In 2011 OpenFeint was sued for allegations including computer fraud, invasion of privacy, breach of contract, bad faith and seven other statutory violations. Immediately after that Jason Citron sold the product to a japanese mobile game company and was not heard from again until he released Discord. The company is very tight lipped about how they are able to fund their service and say that when the need arises for more money they will make it by selling themes/stickers/emoticons for their desktop client. As for how they have the money to continue now, all they will say is that they were "funded in Silicon Valley". Any mention of the fact that their previous service was sued for a shit load of problems will be deleted on the official subreddit as soon the post is found by one of the moderators. People who complain about the vagueness of their terms of service are told that they will be updated to prove they don't sell your data, but a look at the official TOS page (https://discordapp.com/tos) shows it hasn't been updated since september 2015.
Overwatch I'm concerned about this too, and I don't think you're a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist for bringing this up. I don't want us to get hacked just so we can have a chatroom.

I've done some research on the topic now, and there is a timeline correction: OpenFeint is sold to GREE in April 2011, then gets sued in mid-June 2011. However it does look like Jason may still have been at the helm when all that was going down and it is kinda shady. The plaintiffs dropped the lawsuit:

In sharp contrast, the plaintiffs in Hines v. OpenFeint, Inc., Case No. 11-CV-03084-EMC (N.D. Cal.) voluntarily dismissed their complaint after defendant OpenFeint, the largest mobile social gaming network for Apple and Android devices in the world, moved to dismiss for lack of Article III standing. In its motion to dismiss, OpenFeint noted that plaintiffs had not even identified an actual data breach, but at most had identified an entirely hypothetical security vulnerability. Thus, at the very least, it appears that even the plaintiffs' bar recognizes that an actual data breach is a prerequisite to such lawsuits (even if the issue of injury in fact after a breach has occurred remains somewhat unsettled).
@Discord Itself:
They did get $20 million in vc funding in January so that's gotta be part of their budget. On their website they say they have about $30M floating around.

I have to go to work now, but I did have a look at their privacy policy and tos as you recommended, and I'm not sure that I like what I see, but I also don't 100% understand it. I'll have to read them again and let it sink in because they're (by design) confusing.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Fri May 20, 2016 10:35 am

I appreciate the level of concern on both of your parts (and others as well). I do not know if I speak for others aside from myself, but I would be fine switching to a different chat platform. I am not a big fan of skype, but I am open to another option that has similar type to chat features like mibbt or discord. I know the voice feature is more important to others than it is to me, but all my experiences with skype (brikwars, work, and personal) have not been the best so I avoid it all together. With that said, Thank you Overwatch.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Fri May 20, 2016 10:53 am

Skype has text chat too.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Fri May 20, 2016 11:03 am

Silverdream wrote:Skype has text chat too.
I'm not a big fan of it. The few times I did use it, in the BW group, no one would really reply or talk... they all just use voice chat. That is fine, and if its preferable for them they should keep doing it, but voice chat is not my thing. In my experience it is a ton of people talking over each other or you can barely hear because of peoples' connections. Again, there are those who love it and that is great, I am not one of them.

I do miss being on chat though with you, overwatch, and IB, ya'll were super fun.

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Fri May 20, 2016 2:15 pm

I'd like to point out that I am no big fan of Skype either. The only reasons we switched over to it in the first place was contacts, voice chat, and video chat. It's shady too but with Skype I can have measures in place to protect most of my information, with Discord I know of no such ways. I try to keep the amount of chat programs I use very low not to cause any confusion, the more groups that monitor my data the higher chance of me being subject to another raid, and I don't have the funds to replace any of my electronics again. I can be reached on steam if anyone doesn't want to use Skype to chat with me.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Fri May 20, 2016 2:58 pm

I signed up with a place called: We-will-fuck-your-shit-up.com
In their user agreement they implied that they would never raid your data, this seems totally legit.
And I don't have the funds for another "doctors" visit.
With a name like We-will-fuck-your-shit-up.com, what could go wrong?

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Fri May 20, 2016 3:11 pm

RedRover wrote:
Silverdream wrote:Skype has text chat too.
I'm not a big fan of it. The few times I did use it, in the BW group, no one would really reply or talk... they all just use voice chat. That is fine, and if its preferable for them they should keep doing it, but voice chat is not my thing. In my experience it is a ton of people talking over each other or you can barely hear because of peoples' connections. Again, there are those who love it and that is great, I am not one of them.
They skype text chat wasn't that great, and text chat is what I prefer. I can dip out to do other things for a bit and then just read what people had to say.

I haven't run into any of the connectivity issues with discord that I did with mibbit, not have I heard of anyone having any yet.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Fri May 20, 2016 3:34 pm

Overwatch_Elite wrote:the more groups that monitor my data the higher chance of me being subject to another raid, and I don't have the funds to replace any of my electronics again. I can be reached on steam if anyone doesn't want to use Skype to chat with me.
What the hell happened mang?
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Fri May 20, 2016 6:11 pm

He was just trying to get some minerals.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat May 21, 2016 3:07 am

I hated Skype. Resource heavy. In addition to annoyingly long load times on startup. A kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I mostly don't talk either, so there's that for me personally.

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Sat May 21, 2016 7:16 am

Teamspeal is an option and not THAT hard to set-up a server. Plus text and voice. Aside from that it's just back to IRC which none of you seemed to have ever bothered using. Skype is honestly the easiest/ most efficient system. Or you guys could all get WeChat which is what we all use in China. It has text, voice, recordings, image support, etc.
Just Monika

Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Post by Nimja » Sat May 21, 2016 11:27 am

Insert_blank wrote:Aside from that it's just back to IRC which none of you seemed to have ever bothered using.
You have a point. IRC is most definitely the option to go for if you don't want to give your details out.And, as QS mentioned, it doesn't expand to fill all available memory.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote: Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sat May 21, 2016 12:03 pm

Discord is the best chat system I've used. If you have worries about people stealing your data then you shouldn't be on the internet.

runnybabbit223
worth a try if your desprate

Post by runnybabbit223 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:05 am

Why it no work anymore?

It was before, but now it ether says out-of-date, invalid, or I need a special program to run it!
3... 2... 1... DRAGONS!

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:15 pm

Zupponn wrote:Discord is the best chat system I've used. If you have worries about people stealing your data then you shouldn't be on the internet.
OK gimme your credit card # plz.
Just Monika