The Tex Mech, a cursed MOC (Work in progress)

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

wizardoftrash
Warrior King

The Tex Mech, a cursed MOC (Work in progress)

Post by wizardoftrash » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:03 am

As a bit of a warm-up to working on brick-built mechs and monsters, I decided to throw-together a spontaneous pun based build. This thread will document the development of the Tex Mechs.

Day 1: Concept, Face, and Frame.

Pleased with the current state of the face and hat after some experimentation. I wanted to make the hat much much larger, but I couldn't without making the head section far too heavy for the rest of the build. The torso, arms, and upper legs are just placeholders for now to get an idea of scale, and the lower legs and feet have the heft I was going for overall. There is a lot of detail work to add still to get the look I'm going for, and the final build will be 3 Tex Mechs with a coordinating color scheme inspired by this music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg
and yes, the mechs will have matching cowboy minifigs. The mechs themselves will be armed with some combination of oversized pistols, long rifle, and/or lasso.

Once I'm past the core prototype stage, I might make a variant of the face that allows the lower mouth hinge to move a row of teeth as well, but it would involve re-designing the teeth area completely. For now, having just the lower lip and chin move is funny enough and I'm fine with it.

The last step I took in the project was to experiment with eyes. I've got a nice selection of parts that could fit in these places, but I think the printed mixel-style white and black eyes are the best. They are a bit more uncanny which makes them more menacing, and I've got a bunch of variations of these parts for various expressions as needed.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Re: The Tex Mech, a cursed MOC (Work in progress)

Post by Tzan » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:08 pm

Looking good!

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:22 pm

Reminds me of that Primus music video:

wizardoftrash
Warrior King

Post by wizardoftrash » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:39 am

@Zupponn Hilariously, that is the exact video that inspired the overall design for the mechs. I even posted a link to that video in the original post lol! If seeing what you've seen so far reminds you of that video though, then I know I'm on the right track.

Once the frame has proper armor, the posture and details should reinforce that further, and the final trio will have a similar color scheme to the video. I've even sourced a red min-fig cowboy hat from briklink so that I've got appropriately dressed pilots (red is a hard color to find apparently). I'll keep this thread updated as I work.

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:13 pm

wizardoftrash wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:39 am
@Zupponn Hilariously, that is the exact video that inspired the overall design for the mechs. I even posted a link to that video in the original post lol! If seeing what you've seen so far reminds you of that video though, then I know I'm on the right track.

Once the frame has proper armor, the posture and details should reinforce that further, and the final trio will have a similar color scheme to the video. I've even sourced a red min-fig cowboy hat from briklink so that I've got appropriately dressed pilots (red is a hard color to find apparently). I'll keep this thread updated as I work.
Wow. Totally missed the link. Must not have read it well enough lol.

Now you need to build him a guitar! :D

SirZaphod
Nice Dubs

Post by SirZaphod » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:02 pm

That face is amazing! A good mix of creepypasta Brikwars wan'na to see the whole thing built.

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:36 pm

wot in tarnation
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.