Oh Look, Natalya Made a Mosaic (Updated October 2018)

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Re: Oh Look, Natalya Made a Mosaic (Updated August 2015)

Post by Blitzen » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:25 pm

I really like this one. I like abstract art.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:51 pm

Not a huge fan of it, but the Soyuz one is a thing of beauty. Not sure how I missed that one.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:55 pm

Check out this mini one. I finished it today. Sorry for shitty picture. This is about 10" x 5" and looks a lot like this one.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:00 am

The Evangelion obsession continues. This is going to be in that slightly larger 16" x 10" size, making it the biggest anime girl face to date.

Also, I sold the previous two mosaics.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:20 am

Natalya wrote:Also, I sold the previous two mosaics.
Congratulations!

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:00 pm

If the abstracts are the only thing you can reliably sell to strangers, you should make them in batches of 10, factory style.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:06 pm

I hear you, but a problem I keep encountering is that producing them is painfully slow. That little one, I got only $40 CDN for it but it took me about 6 hours to make. That means I got less than minimum wage. Fortunately the materials cost was probably only about $1 since it was made primarily from scraps from other projects and the base was re-purposed garbage wood, but still. I need to command higher prices for the stuff to be worth it.

For the bigger rectangle one I got $100 which was about breaking even given time and materials. That one was NOT made of scrap, there's at least $15 of glass in there and the base was one of my heavier constructions similar to the Soyuz.

I estimate Rei will take about 20-24 hours to complete. I don't know what kind of money I could get for her, but I'm going to have something really damn cool to put on the wall and worship for the next 6 months.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:44 pm

+3 hours of work.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:07 pm

If there were some part of the process you could automate or repeat you'd be able to make them faster. On the flipside, they would no longer be unique.

Your problem might just be that you're pricing too low. Is there anyone else who makes sick mosaics to compare with?

Edit: people sell sets of 4 coasters on etsy for like $60. Coasters are a) small b) replicable and c) functional. That might be a plus for you, or it might be a minus.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:28 am

Another thing to think about is taking commissions. You have a decent amount of work to show people what they'd be buying and you basically have the mosaic sold before you start it. The downside would be that you'd need to generate interest somehow and you might not be too interested in what you're making mosaics of.

Also, if you can get your hands on glass squares, you could just put together classic video game art like Link or Mario. Not only are they quite simple to make, but have a wide appeal as even non-gamers could find these interesting enough to buy.

Image Image

These two guys could look really awesome as coasters.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:00 am

Did you see the two Links I did in OP and page 12? I sold the one in OP last year actually. This was a good reminder though, because someone asked me for a pixel art Mario and I do have enough red tiles to make him now. I can probably bang him out today. More pics later if I do.

I used to work at a warehouse that sells glass tiles so I can get basically any kind of tile good for mosaics, I just seem to have developed a stained glass technique that I find more compelling instead.

I probably mentioned this before, but no one makes stained glass the way I do. There's plenty of people who mosaic with it, and many who have done glass-on-glass like those sun catchers, but of the people who I have seen make anime girls or faces in general, the style they do it in is either a more traditional mosaic style (many small, somewhat regular tesserae) or a traditional stained glass style (large pieces, solder and foil) rather than the mix I do of large and small fitted shapes. Holy run-on sentence bat man. (inb4b&) Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that even if I find it hard to make these anime girls and I can't get a good price for them, I want do it anyway because they're my own style and I think their coolness or whatever means they ought to be created for their ow sake anyway, not just for money's sake.

With art, you can bring something beautiful into this world. Sometimes that's reason enough for me, though certainly getting loads of money for it would be wonderful too.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:21 am

Maybe try bringing your best your style thing to a local art gallery to sell.
See what they think they could sell it for, if its not crazy stupid high money then try another place.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:17 pm

http://cruelangelsremix.tumblr.com/post ... remix-of-a

relevant?

I wish I could still love Evangelion the way I did when I was 14. It seemed so much more significant then. Now, like with my family or childhood friends, I just have to appreciate it for the sake of the love I used to have.

Could you tell us more about how you make the glass pieces? Do you start with a flat pane of glass and file it down to size? What sort of tools do you use? I bet we can come up with some improvements to make it easier.

I took a look at http://mosaicartsupply.com/product-cate ... esh-grids/, and I don't get it, why can't you use a dremel or other cutting disk rotary tool (angle grinder)?Benchtop belt grinder?
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:53 pm

Stained glass is brittle and will shatter if you use the wrong technique with a given tool.

I use:

Well, mine has a different handle style, but you use this to draw lines and stuff (scoring) to then break.

This is not a stained glass tool. I use this thing extensively, but for two purposes which I learned myself. I doubt many other stained glass artists know how to use this the way I use it. What I do with it is unsuitable for traditional stained glass windows.

These are a stained glass tool called running pliers. After scoring the glass with the cutter (first picture) you use this to break the glass along the score line.

I also use a sanding stone sometimes and I use sharpies a lot.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:08 pm

How to make super complex shapes, Natalya-Style.

Above I said I don't think many other people seem to do something stylistically similar to me. Here I'm going to show a part of my process.

With her eye completed and the shadow skin sections completed I'm ready to do her face. Usually I do hair first then face, this time I'm going the other direction.

You can see I've transferred the pattern to this piece of glass already, I used a plastic bag, a sharpie, and a thrown-together light table to do this.

Each cut I make is going to be visible in the final piece so I want to make only a few and I want them to be positioned so that they don't unnecessarily draw the viewer's eyes in the wrong direction, for example by having a cental point from which many lines emanate, your eyes would get drawn to that. This was a pretty safe cut to make because the nose was already making part of the line.

When it's done they're going to be close together like this. I could stick them totally together and eliminate the grout gap, but I don't like how that looks. I prefer to do it this way although many people have criticized me for having grout lines across people's faces. I prefer to have those lines, just in a subtle way.

You can also see I took out the chin//lips portion. That's a very important line so I was super careful when I did it.

Temporary positioning of the face piece. Notice I also got the bridge of her nose removed so that I could attempt to fit it.

Bridge of nose in position. I trimmed a small amount off the right-most area of the big skin piece that's in position. I also have the mouth piece in place for a positioning test.
  ▲
▲ ▲