Space Repair Garage: The Comic

The wide crazy world of art and also stuff

Moderators: Arkbrik, Hoboman

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by Falk » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:05 pm

I like how it's 4 perspectives of the same thing, but it was a bit confusing what was going on before I realized it.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

User avatar
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Now I'm in New York, making bacon pancakes

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by ninja_bait » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Falk wrote:I like how it's 4 perspectives of the same thing, but it was a bit confusing what was going on before I realized it.
Thanks for the feedback. I was excited about the concept but the execution wasn't perfect.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ImageImageImage

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by Falk » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:20 pm

Looking back at the past comics I think I would have figured it out faster if I'd been reading them all in a row, but you forget details when it's strip-by-strip
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

User avatar
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Now I'm in New York, making bacon pancakes

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by ninja_bait » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:24 pm

Falk wrote:Looking back at the past comics I think I would have figured it out faster if I'd been reading them all in a row, but you forget details when it's strip-by-strip
This is honestly my struggle... I can only handle drawing strip-sized chunks but I keep trying to tell bigger sections...
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Posts: 4697
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by Tzan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:25 am

I've been seeing that from the beginning.
I havent been able to follow any story here, as most strips have nothing much to do with the next.

You should really write an outline of a story arc.
Then break it up into shorter stories that have mini climaxes.
Then make many strips that tell one short story.

You need to know whats going to happen as far into future strips as possible.
Then you can do things like foreshadowing.

IANAW

User avatar
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Now I'm in New York, making bacon pancakes

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by ninja_bait » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:13 am

Okay, yeah that makes sense.

I haven't been able to tell from this side if the problem was just an side effect of the strip format or if it's actually bad storytelling. So I appreciate the feedback from you guys :rtfm:
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Posts: 4697
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by Tzan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:15 pm

I would say its mostly strip format problems.
If you want something meaningful in such a short space, its hard.

Things like Garfield are not very hard.
1 a thing happened
2 something else happens
3 stupid look on face reaction
4 punchline or visual gag

Between strips, many times, you changed subjects.
Things would be more cohesive if you let things play out over more panels.
I could say comic style, but you can do a comic style with strips, you just leave things hanging at 4, to be picked up in the next strip.

User avatar
Cakeman
Cannon Fodder
Posts: 459
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by Cakeman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:46 pm

ninja_bait wrote:Destroyerstrip
Ahh, *now* it all comes together. Clever! Good buildup. If this was an album, it would work out. In the net format, maybe readers will choose something else before they get to this part? I was hooked on the lego, so would ofcourse keep reading but it was a bit difficult to keep track of the storylines. Maybe if their identities/locations were clearer earlier? It's a bit too obvious sometimes, but maybe the short texts "federation space" or something like that when you switch between groups?

User avatar
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Now I'm in New York, making bacon pancakes

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by ninja_bait » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:40 pm

Cakeman wrote:
ninja_bait wrote:Destroyerstrip
Ahh, *now* it all comes together. Clever! Good buildup. If this was an album, it would work out. In the net format, maybe readers will choose something else before they get to this part? I was hooked on the lego, so would ofcourse keep reading but it was a bit difficult to keep track of the storylines. Maybe if their identities/locations were clearer earlier? It's a bit too obvious sometimes, but maybe the short texts "federation space" or something like that when you switch between groups?
Yeah, establishing shots would be helpful, too.
Tzan wrote:Between strips, many times, you changed subjects.
Things would be more cohesive if you let things play out over more panels.
I could say comic style, but you can do a comic style with strips, you just leave things hanging at 4, to be picked up in the next strip.
In my head, it's an awesome sci-fi movie with snappy cuts and overlapping story lines. :fudge:
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
Posts: 5176
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by stubby » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 am

If this were a color comic, it'd be easy to solve - you'd give each of the four setups its own identifying color palette, and you could immediately tell which storyline each strip and each frame belonged to. Same with unique lighting setups or distinctive character silhouettes.

Since you don't have any of those tools at your disposal, the next option would be to set up very specific and very distinct environmental styles for the backgrounds. If one group was standing in a room of starfield windows and another was in a tight greeble chamber then you'd have fast context also. The trick at that point is making sure the backgrounds do their job without visually overwhelming the characters and action.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

User avatar
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Now I'm in New York, making bacon pancakes

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by ninja_bait » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:18 am

stubby wrote:Since you don't have any of those tools at your disposal, the next option would be to set up very specific and very distinct environmental styles for the backgrounds. If one group was standing in a room of starfield windows and another was in a tight greeble chamber then you'd have fast context also. The trick at that point is making sure the backgrounds do their job without visually overwhelming the characters and action.
That's a good idea too. I would probably just use one or two elements in the background rather than fully rendering every scene because a. I am lazy and b. it would probably get too noisy in the panels.

I maintain a buffer so you won't see the results of this feedback for a few months, but it is really appreciated! I think it will really improve the comic - especially now that I've got all the different character groups converging, I can do extended sections and try to add in those establishing shots and background elements as you guys have mentioned.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Now I'm in New York, making bacon pancakes

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by ninja_bait » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:36 am

Image
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons
an avid fan of large round cannons
Posts: 2048
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:25 am
Location: Getting Brootalized

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by Kommander Ken » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Bitch better have Repair Boss's money.

User avatar
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Now I'm in New York, making bacon pancakes

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by ninja_bait » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:18 pm

Like I said, we're still going through buffered material but anyway, here's another hard cut.

Image
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Now I'm in New York, making bacon pancakes

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Comic

Post by ninja_bait » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:14 pm

Image
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ImageImageImage

Post Reply