Of Games and Thrones - Forum RPG - LOOKING FOR PLAYERS

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Of Games and Thrones - Forum RPG - LOOKING FOR PLAYERS

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:19 pm

I thumb through the manual, recognizing some of the terms Grimbold used earlier. I have only heard scant rumors about Technomancy, and Master Laurence always wrote it off as mere prestidigitation. As it wasn't one of the major schools of magic, he deemed that it was not worth his time - or mine. But in such times of danger, I will need every tool that I can get.

I read some of the magic words, and in a little over an hour, I get the arachno-construct to twitch some of it's legs. I will need someone to teach me the intricacies of such Magic.

I find Grimbold working away on the crossbow, engrossed in his work. "Excuse me, Mr. Grimbold sir? What knowledge have you of technomancy? I found this collection of papers and have found them of some interest. Are they yours, or do they belong to a friend?" As I speak, I notice that the notches that were in the spider construct seem to fit into some of the slots on the crossbow's firing mechanism... quite curious indeed.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:16 pm

What do you think the spider is?

Nebul: The thing the dwarf is tinkering with somehow has lost it remaining similarities with the good old crossbow. For example there is no bow anymore. When you ask him about the book he is a but confused at first.
"Oh, that ol' junk. I wondered where I put it. Well, yeah I tinkered a littel with the mystic stuff. I had hoped to make some fancy stuff. Use some parts of a golem like a hand that can grab stuff or feet that can walk, and control them directly. I mean, just without the rest of the golem, yer see? But that little fella is all my skills are good for. Anything bigger and I collaps and wake up with a major headache. So I gave up. Maybe it's true what they say about dwarves and magic being opposites. But is was good practice.
But I think I know enough of the theory to teach you the basics. Actually I just had the idea to make this toy a very special companion for you and use some of the old tricks. You know, if you channel some magic in here and apply it to this focus here, it accelerates the bolt without the need for a bow string. So I got rid of it and the winch and everything. Now it's much lighter. And maybe I should replace the bolts with bullets. That way they would fly further... Hmm if I replace this piece with a tube, it should improve the aim..."
And he is lost again.

Later that evening he finds some time to teach you the first lesson, if you want.
Last edited by knolli on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:01 pm

I accept.

I'm assuming it's just a little spider thing to run around and bite dudes, but maybe there's a way to use it as a crossbow projectile. That way I can launch it at enemies. :twisted:

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:19 pm

Hey, Quantumsurfer, we are still waiting for Kurgen's actions. Are you trying to smuggle the squires through the checkpoints or will you hide them out of town. Or will it even be something completly different?

Nebul: In the early evening the grumpy dwarf meets you in the basement. "You better listen up. We don't have much time and I hate to repeat myself. If I have the impression that you are slacking of, I will find better use of my time. But since I owe someone a favor, I will teach you as much as I can."
Thus begins your first lesson in Technomancy, also known as the Art of Golem Building.

He teaches you the first spell: A very simple one to move small objects like a coin. But since you have to touch the object, you find yourself asking of what use that spell is, if you could just as well use your mucles to move it. And what has this spell has to do with Technomancy?

"Don't you see the implications? Think about it. And keep that coin moving in your hand!"

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:45 pm

Sorry, been busy. I'll try to write something soon.

How far away from this city is my old frontier town?

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:44 am

Your old outpost is several weeks worth of travel to the northwest. It is at the border of the civilized world to the unclaimed lands. You would be far out of the king's reach, but simultaniously you would give up any chance to influence the developments here.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:14 am

I sit for a moment and ponder the predicament. On the one hand, if I can get them in here, they'll be safe for a little while. The Necromancer won't want to push for a war with the Dwarves unnecessarily. Something in me worries that he will eventually but thus far he (or she?) has taken actions entirely at his leisure. There was a plan in this. So long as our pretense holds, we're useful to that plan. Unless the Necro has something against Dwarves...but no, we can't doubt every little thing. We keep on doing what we're doing and hope it works because, for now, it's the best we've got. Anyway, on the other hand, if (or when) this place falls to the veritable army of constabulary waiting at our doors, we don't want to be caught with fugitives inside. If we can avoid that outcome, we can at least bargain for enough time to warn the Mountain and possibly avoid war altogether. I think immediately of my out of the way former residence. But no, it's too far to keep an eye on events here. Perhaps as a last resort.

I grow still as stone as my thoughts churn. I feel myself sinking into the chair, the weight of the old walls pressing down on me. I pause only a moment to reflect on the comfort in that when it hits me. Dwarves have always known the Secret of Stone and, in return for keeping it safe, Stone has always protected our own Secrets. There's no way our blueprints of this embassy match up with the blueprints in the King's archives. Undoubtedly, we have secret rooms. Perhaps there is some secret egress as well!

I hurry to find Baldir to put the question to him. At the very least, if there is not a hidden passage beneath the outer walls, Baldir might know some other means to "clear the path."

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:12 am

Kurgen: You find Baldir in the great hall, barking orders in rapid succession. All around him dwarves are either hurrying to do as told or nagging him with even more questions. It seems that somehow he has found a way to control his anger and channel it into usefull work. Well, barelly, as every second word seems to be a curse of some sort.
"Give me some space!. Aye Kurgen, Arbrax told me he got you through the checkpoints. Good work. The riot the mob ran should wake up some people in administration. They should have known better than to oppress their own folk. So what's the status with our friends?"
He listens to your brief report.
"A secret way here? Well of course there are secret passages and hidden chambers in the embassy. But they would loose all meaning if they don't stay that way. If worse comes to worst I'd like to use them to get us all out of here. But there are several minor ones that just lead out of the district and past the checkpoints, I presume. Ask Thorin over there. He's pestering me because I shortened his patrol to the
lower levels. See if you can help each other."

Only a few steps away Thorin, a proud dwarf in his middle ages, is waiting. He is clad in some strange leather uniform with boots that reach up to his thighs. A sign on his waistcoat indicates him as a member of the Defenders. He looks you over from head to toe with a bit of an arrogant smirk.
"You are the replacement Baldir promised me? You don't look like much. And where is the rest?"

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:55 am

"I'll do what I can, Master Thorin. I might be able to get you some extra hands, if you require them, but I'll need your aid in getting them here."

I take him aside and explain the basics of the situation to him, stressing the strategic importance of the task and the deep necessity for someone with his skills to perform it.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Sorry for the wait. Here it is:

Kurgen: Thorin listenes carefully but seemingy not too agitated. "So your people want to disapear for a while. huh? Then there is no better place for you than the anchient city. Some of my pals havn't seen the surface in months. Others disappeared forever. Heh! But I warn you: We will visit places noone goes without a damn good reason. The Moccers know why they shun the tunnels that lead to the deeper levels."
Rumor has it that there is a subdevison of the Defenders that specializes in fights under ground. Though what exactly it is they fight there is a wild guess. Some say, they are some pompous pest-control. Others claim the Denfers struggle desperately to keep monsters or even deamons from reaching the surface.
You know for sure that there are at least two "levels" of city under the city. Part of the top most one is used for the sewer system. Supposedly there are three or even more levels down there, the remains of cities destroyed and rebuilt in ages lang past. Legends tell of a palace built by the Ancients. Now and then treasure hunters take the risk, but only few are ever seen again and those who come back are barely sane.
"If ya wanna take the risk, then let's go. No time like the present."

Nebul: Grimbold is still waiting for an answer to his question.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:08 pm

My mind explodes with possibilities. How small the city seemed a moment ago! I knew the rumors, of course. But Thorin's attitude cements it. It takes me only as long as it takes for my shock to wear off before I nod firmly in the affirmative. "Yes. Let's do it." I can help but grin a little.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:40 am

Kurgen: Thorin seems pleased. "Good, then bring the new meat. Let's meet outside within the hour and off we go." When you tell him that won't be possible, he grumpily argrees to meet your group somewhere else in the city, but he urges you to make haste. "Make sure you are prepared for the terrors from the deeps." With this last warning he begs you goodby.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:21 am

I ask one of the delvers about the equipment we'll need and hurry about gathering it, leaving it in my room before heading back out into the city. As always, I am careful about my approach, conscious of my differences in a city full of humans. I take it casual and control myself so that I do not appear hurried. Just another Dwarf, out to trade in the city or deliver messages from the embassy. I make my way in a roundabout fashion to the others.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:44 pm

I want to get this game up to speed again.

If you want to, you can arrange for a meeting with the missing squires outside the dwarven district a short hour later. The check points are no obstacle for you and noone pays special attention to your kind. After all, the wanted criminals are humans (as far as word in the street knows). And after you followed the thief's cryptic instructions, it's quite easy to meet with Mattrim and the boys. They look dirty and stressed.

"So you are the rumored Kurgen?" Mattrim asks. "Well, well. I hope you live up to the expectations."

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:04 pm

knolli wrote:"Don't you see the implications? Think about it. And keep that coin moving in your hand!"
"I'm not sure that I do yet. This magic seems strange, and so far I see little use for what I have learned." I continue to move the coin about. It crawls over my fingers, then clatters to the floor. I pick it up, and repeat the process several times. "It won't stop me from practicing, though."

I'm not really sure what actions I can do at this point to move the story forward, but let's just assume I keep practicing until I rendezvous with Kurgen.