Once Upon a World- Factions- Updated June 14th

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

BFenix
Pooplord

Re: Once Upon a World- Factions

Post by BFenix » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:01 am

You can never take enough photos. I'm digging your little and compact tank designs, keep 'em coming!

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:52 pm

Thanks, I won't be building much in the near future, but I do want to keep things expanding, I reckon this thread'll be dormant for a while, so until then, I'll be looking for more tank tracks...

spartan117
Officer

Post by spartan117 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:46 pm

i really like these there very... clean? its pretty shweet

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:45 am

Because :necro: , even a necro from page 3! That's right people, I built some more crap, and now you get to see it. (FYI, this content is in now in the main post too.)

The genre is as before in the main post, but this time the factions aren't really relevant.

Once Upon a World, Part 2

Starting off with the least violent build, the Red Tractor:

What on earth is a tractor doing in an armoury thread I hear you ask? We'll get to that later.

Now the smallest build, a humble field howitzer. Nonetheless, I still like how it turned out, mostly as it could probably be used to fire over buildings- for which I'm trying to think of some rules- (completely unforeseen destruction yes please).

Bored already? Good.

Not liking the looks you're getting from those rocks over there? Not a problem!
Spoiler
Show

This is where the tractor comes in.

Many cowardly artillery officers complained when they were issued their field-pieces without mechanized transport; what if they needed to make a hasty (cowardly) retreat? A paranoid High Command sensed the potential for desertion a mile off and ignored them, but that didn't stop some gun crews commandeering their own transport.

Modelled by some guys I whipped up for the photoshoot, I think I'll keep them.

Next is an observation balloon, they float around intercepting radio transmissions and... urm... observing.

Don't worry, the pilot gets paid extra for hanging on at 5,000 feet.

I've got some rules pending for how information-interception done by these balloons would function, but they only work for forum battles.

This is the gun truck, I'd give it a proper name, but I think "gun truck" has a certain ring to it.

Modelled by the same minifigs as earlier, none of these builds are tied to a previous faction, this one included.
Spoiler
Show
As advertised, it's a truck with a field-gun in the back (which is a reincarnation of one of the field-guns from the original post), complete with flag.

The gun crew has a door in the right side of the flat-bed, which makes me comfortable that they won't have to jump over the back of the truck to get out (or incur the subsequent risk of crotch-snagging on the exhausts).

The gun pivots, there's room for 2 operators behind the gun, at a pinch.

That lump on the side is a tool bin.

Next is the "Floating Fancy". Piloted by Geoff and Nigel, who customised the "Floating Fancy" as a gun barge over the period of several straight weeks spent in the shed at the bottom of Geoff's garden.

Spoiler
Show
Geoff (left) and Nigel (right), both members of "The Order of the Spanner", a club for retired mechanics.

The rear end is my favourite part of this build, and certainly the most time-consuming to erect.

This is probably the closest I've come to building an "airship" in a while, although I doubt anyone remembers my first attempt.

Fuzzy and pointless picture to show all the hatches, but I took it, and I uploaded it, so I'm damn well posting it.

I like the colour scheme for this build, I managed to use some of the more obscure colours from my collection, and kept all things grey to a minimum (unusually for me).
Next is a fighter plane I put together last week, I realised I was short of planes in my build-selection, so I created: "Fat Bill"

Kindly note the landing gear. For whatever reason, I find it really hard to do landing gear on stuff like this. Oh and yes, that is a tire, I was trying to make it look like the engine cowling of some early world war two planes (i.e the Gloster Gladiator and the Savioa Marchetti SM.79)
Spoiler
Show
Backstory time!
The Viquers-Vicount company set out to create a compact heavy-fighter plane, but after adding large amounts of weight in terms of armour to the already unreliable engine, when they came to install armaments, no more than a lightweight machine gun could be carried, many pilots of the plane rammed their adversaries out of frustration when their machine gun failed to be effective. (Lifted from the description I gave it on the hosting site.)

The plane has two crewmen, 1 pilot and 1 bomber/observer/moral support guy who will sit behind him.

The cockpit, probably my favourite part of the build, because I managed to use an old-style car door as the pilot's seat, and for those of you who can't unsee it, the pilot is about to use his joystick to shoot himself in the neck. The pilot's +1 guy sits behind him facing the other way in that space.

Still proud of that landing gear. Maybe I should stop now.

Perhaps the wings could be a little longer in proportion to the bulk of the plane.

Perhaps it wasn't a great idea to give this thing no more than one machine gun, but I find the idea of aerial units being a case of "fly past and shoot stuff at them" a bit boring, and I'd like to see melee air combat, like ramming and wings being used to "clothes-line" infantry in low-level flight, so hopefully being lightly armed won't make it a light-weight unit.
That's it for now, C&C welcome.

motorhead fan
I want to climb on to thevengefulone, stick my tongue into his ear and ride him all the way to satan.

Re: Once Upon a World- Factions- Updated July 21st

Post by motorhead fan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:08 am

This stuff is really great!

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:52 am

very impressive work! I like them a lot.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Post by Theblackdog » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:00 am

I love these vehicles, especially the spotter balloon and sky barge. The shapes are unique and the detail work is fantastic.

Bluefog
Cannon Fodder

Post by Bluefog » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:35 pm

I really like the Floating Fancy. I like everything actually, even your figs are original. Well done. Nothing constructive to add at all.
"Hey, you try making love to a complete stranger in a hostile, mutant environment, see how you like it."

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks guys, it's nice to know that whilst I like building this stuff, there are a few of you that don't mind looking at it as well.

Also:
Bluefog wrote: Nothing constructive to add at all.
I can feel a god complex coming on...

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:17 pm

Im not too much a fan of Fat Bill, but everything else is awesome. Fat Bill looks a bit clunky compared to the others.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:43 am

I saw Fat Bill and immediately thought of this:

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:59 am

Kalvinator wrote:Im not too much a fan of Fat Bill, but everything else is awesome. Fat Bill looks a bit clunky compared to the others.
Yeah, I see where you're coming from, and maybe I'll try to make it a little bit more... streamlined, is that the right word? Having said that, Fat Bill is a pretty good "swoosher", due to the bulkiness of it. It's a relatively new build, so as soon as I'm completely past the "oh look at this wonderful thing I built with my own fair hands" stage, which seems to endure for a while after I've completed something, then I'll think about tinkering with it, and perhaps put a little machine-gun cupola on the back (thanks for the reference pic zups :P ).
Until then you perhaps need to understand that my sole aim when I began Fat Bill was to incorporate the two pieces (that make up the rear fuselage) into a plane, somewhat more as a trial of to what extent semi-plausible pieces can be used in a build.

TL;DR version: Thanks for pointing out that it might need altering, nice/entertaining/useful picture zuppon.

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:07 am

I'm sorry son, but they got us.

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:49 am

"After shooting off the tail of his own goddam plane, Sean realised that it was probably the right course of action to cut his losses and quit the James Bond job."

Well, if the tail gunner of a plane crit-fails his roll in a brikwars game, we know what to do.

Kalvinator
in need of one still

Post by Kalvinator » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:55 pm

ikensall wrote: TL;DR version: Thanks for pointing out that it might need altering, nice/entertaining/useful picture zuppon.

Yeah, I just thought I'd do something constructive.