Contests

Pay attention

Moderator: Bonn-o-Tron

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Contests

Post by Quantumsurfer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:47 pm

Following the general discussions a few of us had both here on the forums and on the chat about the desire for more contests, I decided to host a few. Currently, we have 4 contests that run 5 months out of a 6 month span. The Halloween Hellhunt runs in October, the BrikFiction Festival runs through November and December, the Rekon Kickoff runs in January, and the Blarney Build runs in March.

Originally, I think the sentiment was to run contests seasonally but if I remember right, they were to be some variant of a battle report contest, so we wanted them spread throughout the year. Since the contests are now geared toward a more diverse array of BrikWars associated interests (so far, Battle/Forum/Chat Reports, Short Story Writing, and Building) I feel like it's okay to have them a little more often. Some folks are going to be interested in some contests but not in others and I think the participation records so far support that. Which is good because, in addition to the larger draw, more contests mean individuals can participate at their leisure. They don't necessarily need to be monthly, though they certainly can be if there is enough interest. Whatever the case, I think what I like best about these contests is that they increase forum participation and the result of that is that we all get to experience cool new content on the regular.

I've got a couple of other ideas for contests floating around but I mentioned that my well on this was running a little dry. Mike mentioned that he had loads of contest ideas and suggested I start a thread about it. So, I'm interested in sort of pooling our collective ideas to help fill in the last half of the year. Thoughts?

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Re: Contests

Post by Natalya » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:08 pm

I feel like contests should be something the host feels passionately about or else they won't host it again later in the future. They take time and effort.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:30 pm

We need some prizes and incentives. I like the badges for peoples' profiles and a hall of victors kind of thing. Maybe if we are a big enough Lego community Lego would donate some small sets or something.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Natalya wrote:I feel like contests should be something the host feels passionately about or else they won't host it again later in the future. They take time and effort.
I feel like there are also different levels of engagement that would also be cool besides the stuff that's meant to be big and forum-spanning. When I was talking to Quantumsurfer about this earlier, I was brainstorming monthly contest themes that I'm now thinking might work better minus the contests.

Like, April 15's coming up; it'd be funny to play to a Death-and-Income-Taxes theme. But are regressive tax structures the kind of thing anyone is passionate enough to organize judges and build a contest around? Or is it better just as a "this month's theme" idea; maybe we re-brand the site for tax week and people can make battles and fics if they feel inspired.

And while it's funny to get a bunch of judges awarding numbers and doing math, I also think it'd be nice to have some Silvaward-specific contests. Maybe even an awards show. Maybe even a battle set at a silvawards show. There's lots of room for good retrospective awards, like Best New Recurring Character of 2016 or Most Inspiring Heroic Feat Failure.

What are our contests now? Battle reports, BrikFics, modelbuilding, artwork? How much more variety can we pack into that? Could we have contests about clever Wiki pages, or forum graphics, or animation, or Let's Play BrikWars videos? BrikWars music composition? 2x4 brick cosplay?
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:31 am

Natalya wrote:I feel like contests should be something the host feels passionately about or else they won't host it again later in the future. They take time and effort.
I can say that the ones I've set up now, I don't mind running in the future. Unless I die or something, I'm probably not going anywhere. I don't see myself as particularly "passionate" about these contests. Interested, sure. Invested enough to put them out there. It's not like they're difficult to set up...I mean, the three contests I've set up are organized on a template.
stubby wrote:All the suggestions.
Kind of just all of this, really, but I particularly like the idea of general monthly themes. That seems fun. And a little more...flexible. I'm good on keeping contests for major concepts like BRs, BFs, and builds, even along with the badges and hall of lords. It's fun but it's also like Whose Line, where the contests are made up and the points don't matter. Again, I'm all about that inspiration.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:36 am

Monthly themes could be cool. I've already copyrighted Silvawards, so you have to pay me each time it shows up on this website. Alternatively, you can pay me a flat fee for the first year, and then pay me by instalments.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Silverdream wrote:Monthly themes could be cool. I've already copyrighted Silvawards, so you have to pay me each time it shows up on this website. Alternatively, you can pay me a flat fee for the first year, and then pay me by instalments.
Sorry pal. I anticipated people making exactly this kind of claim, and designed the forum's Terms of Use accordingly. Please refer to the section titled "SUBMITTED CONTENT, REDISTRIBUTION, RE-USE, AND TRANSFORMATION OF."
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Silverdream wrote:Monthly themes could be cool. I've already copyrighted Silvawards, so you have to pay me each time it shows up on this website. Alternatively, you can pay me a flat fee for the first year, and then pay me by instalments.
Or I can just delete that forum and everything in it.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:03 pm

surely you have better things to do with your life then abuse your power on a forum for man children

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:33 pm

stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:00 pm

Go watch one of your laser disc anime cartoons.
Just Monika

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:53 pm

Overwatch_Elite wrote:i only watch anime on vhs

this post doesn't matter though because it will be deleted for shitposting within the next 24 hours
CORRECT
  ▲
▲ ▲

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:22 pm

Overwatch_Elite wrote:proving my points day by day, try to do something that isn't predictable for once
Talk to my Natalya like that again, and you'll see the edge of my blade. :fist:

You're lucky Ross Varn isn't here, or else your petty "Goon Squad" would be no more.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:47 pm

Overwatch_Elite wrote:proving my points day by day, try to do something that isn't predictable for once
Stop whining.
  ▲
▲ ▲

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:01 am

We all know Natalya just makes idle threats but the topic at hand here is really more about how keldoclock has the sharpest elite katana and owns an anime and manga collection heretofore unseen by the unwashed masses (i.e. us).
Just Monika