BrikWiki

Pay attention

Moderator: Bonn-o-Tron

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Re: BrikWiki

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:45 am

Okay, since our Contest Year has just kicked off with the Hellhunt, I made up a wiki page for the various contests. Description of what they are, followed by entries for each in chronological order. Each entry describes the contest and how it proceeds, as well as includes a gallery of the Badges I made for the winners. Couple of contests I have planned for later next year as well (those might change or disappear, we'll see). And I know I still haven't awarded the Blarney badges from this past March. I'll add them when I can. Anyway, here's the link. It's linked on both the Community Portal and the Human page.

Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Post by Duerer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:29 am

Looking at this page kinda reminds me that I wanted to do some sort of Soap Opera contest in summer, but I have no clue what held me back this time.
Winning Contest Entries
Show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Battles and Stories and Stuff

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:42 am

I thought about doing a soap contest as well. I think it might be the one major area we haven't covered. Months not covered: Feb, May, June, July. Didn't want to do Feb originally because it was like a rest month, but that was when there were only a couple of contests. Feb might work thematically for soaps, sandwiched between Kickoff reports and Blarney Builds. But, being unsure that I could fill the whole calendar year with contests (or really, being unsure that I even want to), question becomes: do we spread them out with gap, recharge months or do we clump them together with a long gap before the next contest cycle?

Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Post by Duerer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:22 am

I thought about summer, bc it's currently free of any contests of some sort and my thought behind it was filling that gap.
Furthermore, there shouldn't be a too inflationary use of contests, as it might get a bit stale in the end. It might be best to have a break of 1-2 months between contests.
Winning Contest Entries
Show

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Gave Factions and Forces a facelift.

Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Post by Duerer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:23 am

gj, just added some of mine to it. Wouldn't it be better to segregate factions by game world, like having headlines for medieval and futuristic factions?
Winning Contest Entries
Show

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:57 am

Hmm. The old size system is a good one. There's the associations section at the bottom...we could maybe add in sci-fi and medieval tags to it. Maybe a Factions by Genre section? Because it is one of the major divisions here on the forums, so your suggestion is also a really good one.

Thinking on it further, that might be best. There's a few modern factions, some post apoc stuff. Maybe we should move the Associations section to the very top.

Edit: Hoooooly crap. I had a vague memory of someone (Mike? Colette?) putting in Faction Categories at some point. There are a shitload of them. A lot of them are highly specific, good for tagging individual factions like a Keyword system. Seems like we had two groups of folks going in different directions with the idea. I think it'll be ok as stands, with broad generic categories on the faction page and specific categories accessible only through individual faction pages.

Like, if you were just browsing basic, you'd look up sci-fi factions or something. Then, you find a faction you like and look at it's keywords and think, I'd like to find another faction similar to this one so I'll click on Robot Factions (for example).

Thoughts? Was this the plan all along?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm

I was mostly using it as an excuse to play with the categories tab, but yeah, that was the hope. Especially if you wanted to include another faction in your story and you were looking at your available bricks like "welp, I've got a lot of red bricks and robots, I wonder who's got a red robot faction?"
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:14 pm

It's a good idea.

I've just gone through and tagged my factions and I'm already finding navigation easier. And it generally makes things feel more connected.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:49 pm

Old New Plan, guys. Since photofuckit has screwed everyone over and it seems likely that other image hosting services will do the same eventually, how about from now on we put all our BrikWars related stuff on the BrikWiki since that's totally what it's there for anyway.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:47 pm

That depends if Mike is interested in paying to host giggidys worth of images.

I see Natalya added an image to Beige Carpet, nice.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:57 am

If that's the case, I misunderstood the system greatly.

Though I do seem to recall having that conversation with Mike at some point on here. That the goal was eventually to get all the BW stuff to the Wiki, images and all. That's why I (and a couple of others) started uploading battle reports there, if I remember right.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:25 am

Yep. Giggidies are cheap nowadays, I think the entire brikwars site takes up something like 1% of my server space. I just put up all of ZZD and it barely made a dent. I don't know if MediaWiki starts to struggle if you put too much stuff on it, but as far as server space goes we've got no worries. Just try to give your image files meaningful names if you could, and not just a whole bunch of DSC045052.JPG.

The only real issue is usability. The BW server is available but I don't know how to give you guys stuff like batch uploads or anything like that. Uploading single images at a time is a big pain in the ass, and I'm still not sure of the best way to present forum battles on wiki pages. Armory posts and the like translate a lot more directly.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:24 am

Not sure if this would work, butt ...

Dropbox has a Shared Folder thing, I've used it with an architects office.

User A and B both have DB, you would need to install DB on your server.
User A makes a folder to share, then sends an email invite to User B
User B makes a local folder inside their DB folder to share.
User B dumps files into the shared folder and they get auto synced to User A
Then you tell people the URL to the folder, they include images in posts using that.

If User B deletes images out of his local folder while DB is running, it will delete them from User A folder.

So... You would probably want to manually shift them out of the shared folder into a folder that can't be accidentally wiped, then give the URL for that folder.
A shared folder I think is considered temporary, because either user can delete all the images. They can be recovered from the DB server, I think.
This option is not very immediate, briknerds need to wait for the manual copy before posting images.
Also its more work for you ... daily.

I suppose its possible to write a small program that auto copies all files from the share to a different folder.

So this is probably not worth it.

I only run DB manually, so its off 99% of the time and I only turn it on when I need to sync to DB servers.
Last edited by Tzan on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Captain-Camper
seriously?

Post by Captain-Camper » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:03 am

Ok the real question how much anime spam can we save for Colette and dank memes from overwatch
"Tallyho lads, snuggle the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers"