Unit Suggestion: The Sergeant/NCO

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Unit Suggestion: The Sergeant/NCO

Post by AZKAMAT » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:36 am

Yesterday I thought of rules for a type of unit that seems to be lacking in Brikwars but which would fit in nicely with its themes given its taking cues from pop culture.

Namely, the cliche of bad-ass veteran NCO's who make the magic happen in combat. In the game, I had conceived of these types of soldiers being represented simply as a normal soldier who can grant one Benny per turn to anyone who is 'beneath' him. I.e., not a Leader/Officer or Hero, or any other authority higher than himself. This to represent the ability of Sergeants to exhort and inspire their lesser brethren to greater feats and bursts of greater skill.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, think of Sergeant Johnson, the veteran Sergeant from We Were Soldiers, or any R. Lee Ermy character.

No, I do not right now know how exactly to write the rules or how it should be statted. My impression is that simply having a normal minifig's stats without boosting move speed, skill or anything would be fine.

So, Stubby, take this as a suggestion.
Check out mah BOL's of STIL! http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16612

Kant b'leev uh wun! Image

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Unit Suggestion: The Sergeant/NCO

Post by stubby » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:57 pm

We've talked about making this unit in the past - the final version was the Drill Sergeant, who carried a power drill and used it to "motivate" his subordinates. But in the end I decided his specialty wasn't differentiated enough from Officers and Leaders, so I tabled him until I could think of something more unique.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage
all I have is anthrax and rage

Post by Kastrenzo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:50 pm

Just use a grunt with a random stat boost to the squad or something, like +1 to skill rolls while alive. but none of that D8 stuff
Faction Index - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:17 pm

I was trying to think of something unique enough to be worth it. Every flavorless +1 players have to keep track of makes the game less fun, not more.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Post by AZKAMAT » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:56 pm

Kastrenzo wrote:Just use a grunt with a random stat boost to the squad or something, like +1 to skill rolls while alive. but none of that D8 stuff
Stubby pretty much said what I thought of this. Also, the way I use Leadership units is a combination of the old school system where they had a tiny stat boost along with the homebrew rules I made where they confer a specific bonus to everyone around them (you can find it wherever it's buried in the Bonus Materials).

I still feel like my idea is different enough from how officers work in 2010 and my homebrew to give it a whirl in the games I plan on doing later this month to the end of the year. It basically lets you have a grunt who can confer one Instant Benny per turn to anyone beneath him. Gives you something special to do with those guys who look kinda different from the rest but not special enough to be a leader or hero.
Check out mah BOL's of STIL! http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16612

Captain-Camper
seriously?

Post by Captain-Camper » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:08 pm

How about an officer to drunk off his ass to really care about anything because of PTSD?
"Tallyho lads, snuggle the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers"

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Post by AZKAMAT » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:30 pm

Captain-Camper wrote:How about an officer to drunk off his ass to really care about anything because of PTSD?
That sounds more fitting to a hero character rather than a soldier type.