Mobile Frame Zero: Ottawa, ON (update 18th of August)

Looking for players in your area? Announcements and discussion of upcoming battles in your location

Moderator: Tuefish

CADmonkey
Cannon Fodder

Re: Mobile Frame Zero: Ottawa, ON (update 29th of September)

Post by CADmonkey » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:53 pm

Took part of the summer off from running demos (should've just taken a rest after CanGames), but now I'm getting back into running monthly games. Details in the updated OP above.

CADmonkey
Cannon Fodder

Re: Mobile Frame Zero: Ottawa, ON (update 10th of October)

Post by CADmonkey » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:53 am

So dispite some interest on facebook, no-one showed up looking for a demo this past Saturday. But Jon and Xenovorous showed up with their frame companies, so we had an impromptu 3 player Rapid Attack skirmish.

My Company

My frame company, The Dragons.

In the rear, a support Hi-Leg:
d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6B d6G d6W d6W
Then from left to right, a battlefield salvage Chub:
d6Rd d6Rd d6G d6Y d6Y d6W d6W
and 3 hand-to-hand soldier Commisars:
d6Rh d6Rh d6B d6G d6Y d8G d6W d6W

Two Stations. In the foreground, an electochemical fuel cell (for powering something big!); and behind that, a forest shrine.

By bringing a company with the most frames & the most systems, I had a 'score per asset' of 3 and my starting score was 21, the lowest of the three, and so my position was 'point offensive' player.

Xenovorous' Company

Xenovorous' company was tied with Jon's for the least number of frames, but it had neither the most nor the least number of systems, so his 'score per asset' was 6 and his starting score was 36, which made his position 'offensive' as well.

Jon's Company

Jon's company had both the least number of frames and least number of systems, so his 'score per asset' was 7, giving him a starting score of 42 which put him in the 'defensive' position.

(I didn't keep a record of the loadouts for Xenovorous & Jon's companies, sorry guys)

Initial Setup

In a battlefield of short sections of walls & vegitation simulating ruins in the process of being overgrown, Jon set up a perimeter in one corner, with some fairly strudy walls to hide behind.

My 'point mobile frame' can be seen facing one of Jon's initial defense frames, with the rest of the company arrange behind it, making my intentions against Jon clear.

Xenovorous' company is to one side of my axis of advance, in postition to attack either of us.

Starting scores: Jon 42; Xenovorous 36; Myself 21

End of First Round

Jon held onto his lead. My frames pursued one of Jon's into his perimeter but couldn't engage it in hand-to-hand combat. A lucky hit from my support frame crippled Jon's support frame, while return fire from Jon's support frame lightly damaged mine. Xenovorous' frames advanced towards the centre.

No frames were destoyed, and no stations changed hands.

End of first round scores: Jon 42; Xenovorous 36; Myself 21

End of Second Round

Early in the second round, Xenovorous captured on of Jon's stations, lowering Jon's score to 35 and raising his to 42, thereby giving Xenovorous the initiative. Xenovorous also opened fire on my support frame, severely damaging it.

With Jon's score still ahead of mine, I continued to concentrate on him. My support frame finished off Jon's support frame, reducing his score even further. My hand-to-hand frames continued their drive into Jon's perimiter (taking considerable damage as they went), finally catching up to his frame beside on of his stations.

Under pressure from both Xenovorous and myself, Jon's position was looking untenable.

End of second round scores: Jon 28; Xenovorous 42; Myself 21

End of Third Round & Game

Fire from Jon's frames destroyed one of my hand-to-hand frames, reducing my score to 18, making it seem that I would remain in last place. Exchanges of fire between Xenovorous & myself and Jon & Xenovorous had no practical effect. But at the end of the round, my hand-to-hand frames finally destroyed Jon's frame (which they had been persuing for the entire game) and captured Jon's remaining station, finally dragging me out of last place.

The game was called at the end of the round on account of time, with Xenovorous the winner, myself in second place and Jon in third. We all agreed that it had been a good game.

End of third round & final scores: Jon 14; Xenovorous 42; Myself 21

It was time to pack up then, but I snapped a couple of closup shots of the aftermath:

It was great seeing Jon and Xenovorous again, and even better having a full game, and a multiplayer one at that!

Regarding my performance in the game, while I did managage to lift myself out of last place, I got the feeling during the game that attacking Jon was a misstep for me. I've had very few multiplayer games of MF0, and in two player games where I've played point offense, charging into the defender's perimeter with a closely grouped section of soldiers has served me well. In this game though, I think that attacking Jon this way helped Xenovorous more than me. This thought occured to me partway through the second round, but I decided to stick with my original plan and see where it got me. If I had attacked Xenovorous from the outset, I would have put him in a position where he couldn't possibly win without attacking Jon himself. This strategy certainly wouldn't be a guarenteed win for me, but it could be something interesting to try next time I'm in a similar position. I aslo think my hand-to-hand section suffered from a lack of SSRs, which I normally spread through "assault" sections like these (not everyone had SSRs, so we decided to play without them). Next time I'll bring some extra SSRs for the use of other players.

Darkstorm
oh god

Post by Darkstorm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:01 am

those are some great microscale mechs right there
Darkstorm will rise! Someday? Probably tomorrow.
My Old Faction:Darkstorm Empire, New Faction: Phoenician Empire My Alliance:Kult of the Darkness
I swear I'm not dead, just dead inside
My bi-annual visit trend continues! See you in 6 months as usual.

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:11 am

great battle report
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Post by Falk » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Do you have more pictures of the blue mechs?
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

CADmonkey
Cannon Fodder

Post by CADmonkey » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Falk wrote:Do you have more pictures of the blue mechs?
I've got a few photos from other occasions:

And of course, Xenovorous has photos on his own flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/xenovorous/

CADmonkey
Cannon Fodder

Re: Mobile Frame Zero: Ottawa, ON (update 13th of October)

Post by CADmonkey » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:22 pm

I've scheduled another demo for November at the FLGS downtown. I've edited the details into the OP above.

CADmonkey
Cannon Fodder

Re: Mobile Frame Zero: Ottawa, ON (update 8th of November)

Post by CADmonkey » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:16 am

Another demo scheduled for next month at the FLGS downtown. Details in the (edited) OP above.

CADmonkey
Cannon Fodder

Post by CADmonkey » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:38 pm

Had a couple new folks drop in for a demo game yesterday, took some photos:

Demo Game by Bryan Rombough, on Flickr

The full album is here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmwTJtWX

Thanks to Brian & Mark for coming out, hope to see more of you in the new year!

Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cakeman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Cute little mechs. With the scenery, everything oddly falls into scale and looks cool. Hope you had fun!

CADmonkey
Cannon Fodder

Re: Mobile Frame Zero: Ottawa, ON (update 18th of August)

Post by CADmonkey » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:21 pm

Running a demo table at a local RPG mini-con next weekend. I've put the details in the OP above.

Wow, it's been some time since I've posted here. Almost didn't recognize the place.

CADmonkey
Cannon Fodder

Re: Mobile Frame Zero: Ottawa, ON (update 18th of August)

Post by CADmonkey » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:02 pm

I've also scheduled another demo for September at the FLGS downtown.

And added the details in the OP above.