The MOCs That Made Us

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

The MOCs That Made Us

Post by ninja_bait » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 pm

I just returned from a nostalgia trip and wanted to share with you the MOC that changed my life forever. After watching The Last Starfighter, I searched the internet for a LEGO gunstar on a whim. Thankfully, Mark Sandlin had built this badass one and posted it on a website full of amazing ships (and SHIPs) and links to more builders. It was a revelation. Now I sort my bricks, build color-coordinated spaceships, and play Brikwars.

What MOC inspired you to stop being a shitbuilder?
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

motorhead fan
I want to climb on to thevengefulone, stick my tongue into his ear and ride him all the way to satan.

Re: The MOCs That Made Us

Post by motorhead fan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:06 pm

I am still looking for mine.

sahasrahla
that is a fantastic question to which no satisfactory answer will be forthcoming

Post by sahasrahla » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:55 pm

it wasn't really one thing for me. my friend told me that brikwars was a thing that existed and after jizzing my pants at the mere concept i went and googled it and found this website. all downhill from there

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Post by Falk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:04 pm

I think finding brikwars is what made me build better. My initial creations were all rainbow bricks and now Imm starting to get the hang of more complex techniques.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

Darkstorm
oh god

Post by Darkstorm » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:29 am

Falk wrote:I think finding brikwars is what made me build better. My initial creations were all rainbow bricks and now Imm starting to get the hang of more complex techniques.
Honestly, both what inspired me to build better as well as to join brikwars was Natalya's Sonks Destroyer. I saw that with a bunch of other SHIPs and somehow caught my eye, and I checked it out. That's actually how I was first introduced to brikwars, since it had a link to the page and I had been looking for a good tabletop wargame and was duly impressed by what I had found.

Also, that Gunstar is awesome. I just watched the movie last week and that is perfect. :boss:
Darkstorm will rise! Someday? Probably tomorrow.
My Old Faction:Darkstorm Empire, New Faction: Phoenician Empire My Alliance:Kult of the Darkness
I swear I'm not dead, just dead inside
My bi-annual visit trend continues! See you in 6 months as usual.

motorhead fan
I want to climb on to thevengefulone, stick my tongue into his ear and ride him all the way to satan.

Post by motorhead fan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:03 pm

I saw the artwork and was hooked, I saw the Assyrians and was 100% sold, I'm still working on building stuff, I'm pretty satisfied with my building knowledge.

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:47 pm

ninja_bait wrote:What MOC inspired you to stop being a shitbuilder?
I don't think you can just see a MOC, click your fingers, and all of a sudden vastly improve in building skill. It's a slow process getting just OK at building, and it takes lots of inspiration along the way.

Reasonably Clever's Chris Doyle was my first contact of the AFoL community (I would have been about 12 at the time) and then when he did his Brikwars advent calendar showdown, I ended up here. His Lego serenity (at the time the largest), as well as the Brickhouse comic were pretty big for me.

There were a bunch of Brickshelfs I used to love going through, Highway 44 anyone?, or How about the Dragonstar?.
Darkstorm wrote:Honestly, both what inspired me to build better as well as to join brikwars was Natalya's Sonks Destroyer.
Death War was a big one. If we were to put together an all time greatest battles list, it'd definitely be in there for prominently featuring the Sonks. If you want full on SHIPmania, then Caid Sector is what you want. We were in a full on SHIP arms race at this point (God I miss Arms races), and Caid was the awesome result of that.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Darkstorm
oh god

Post by Darkstorm » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:21 pm

dilanski wrote:We were in a full on SHIP arms race at this point (God I miss Arms races)
Speaking of arms races I need to work on my LDD SHIP some more, after the other dozen projects that I want to get done first.

Most certainly those battles were among the greatest BW has seen. Back in the old days. What we have now is great but I'm certainly a nostalgist and like re-reading some of the great battles of brikwars.
My Old Faction:Darkstorm Empire, New Faction: Phoenician Empire My Alliance:Kult of the Darkness

dilanski

Post by dilanski » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:51 pm

Darkstorm wrote:Most certainly those battles were among the greatest BW has seen. Back in the old days. What we have now is great but I'm certainly a nostalgist and like re-reading some of the great battles of brikwars.
We should totally community poll this. Take nominations for ~30 battles, then poll it for the top 10.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Darkstorm
oh god

Post by Darkstorm » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:52 pm

dilanski wrote:
Darkstorm wrote:Most certainly those battles were among the greatest BW has seen. Back in the old days. What we have now is great but I'm certainly a nostalgist and like re-reading some of the great battles of brikwars.
We should totally community poll this. Take nominations for ~30 battles, then poll it for the top 10.
then we can make a top thread for each of them (in one thread) then sticky it for everyone to easily read.

as for submissions, just off the top of my head, battle for zulu (zombie) dawn, attack on andelmere, and Hey you're... let's fight! are three fun old battles that I've always liked. I may do some more digging for some of those true gems later.

Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cakeman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:30 am

dilanski wrote:Death War was a big one. If we were to put together an all time greatest battles list, it'd definitely be in there for prominently featuring the Sonks. If you want full on SHIPmania, then Caid Sector is what you want. We were in a full on SHIP arms race at this point (God I miss Arms races), and Caid was the awesome result of that.
Caid Sector led me to the forums. It's a fantastic battle I can still enjoy.

Venge
there are no brakes on the ban train

Post by Venge » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Haven't seen the film yet, but that ship is perfect.

I'm still not a great builder, but BrikWars and Saber-Scorpion's stuff got me into actual building.
Formerly known as TheVengefulOne. Times banned by Natalya: 10 (+ 1 alt).

My BrikWars Stuff: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16684

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398410@N07/

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:47 am

Aw thanks! I weep a single daemonic tear!

Mark Sandlin's older stuff, like the Mithrandir, or his little Sprite star fighters are what got me into building cool stuff. I spent hundreds of hours as like a teenager looking at brick shelf and at Mark's Lego Creations and reading the stories he had to go with his stuff and the stories and things other people made. I found BrikWars before the forum was launched, then came back a while later when we had the forum and was super happy to sign up.

I think the best BrikWars battles are going to be ahead of us. We have some really epic ones, which will be hard to match, but the next one I host is going to be legendary because it will be on a full-3d battlefield.
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

ReconMiner
Hero

Post by ReconMiner » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:56 pm

I never had any really specific MOC, but seeing the amazing stuff posted on here convinced me to start sorting my own collections so I could try my hand at building something kickass
Gladius Industries
"Sometimes, bigger is better"

Scribonius
Nice TRIPS

Post by Scribonius » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:49 pm

ReconMiner wrote:I never had any really specific MOC...
Kind of the same for me. As a kid, I used to build giant castles and stage battles with my Castle and Pirate minifigs. When I got older, I got into wargaming. Yes, I play the gigantic money-sucking pit that is Warhammer. Honestly, having kept all of my Lego, it was a short step from Lego and Wargaming to Brikwars.

Actually, I still like building big castles. I should do that again... hmm... when is my next day off..............