The 2,019 June July Jamboree

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:48 pm

Second Annual BrikWars Scene Konstruktion Contest

Welcome, BrikWarriors, to the midpoint of the year. It is a time of celebration across the BrikVerse as kanon settles into the comfortable, roaring pattern of repeated fire. For many, it is also a celebration of nationality and homeland pride as the factions for the rekonstruktion settle into the deepest state of warfare and fueding. Fireworks flare as often as rocket fire and parties, both the dancing and war varieties, spontaneously erupt everywhere. The denizens of the BrikVerse let loose in full swing and engage in the best acts of debauchery and butchery seen all year. These celebrations will set the tone for the remainder of the rekon.

Participants

Participants will each create one or more "scenic builds," in real bricks or in LDD, and capture a comprehensive set of images that show it off. A "scenic build" captures a scene or event (of any kind) in the BrikVerse in the form of a vignette or diorama. The Judges will have their own views on what constitutes a complete build and that will show in their scoring, particularly in Style and Substance. Anywhere between 1 and 10 captured images in general ought to be fine. Simply create something BrikWarsy, preferably something that references the rulebook, the lore (community or official), and/or the history.

Those wishing to participate in the contest should submit an original scenic build via a new thread in the Armoury or LDD forum between June 1, 2019 and July 31, 2019, including the identifier tag [JJJ19] in the title.

Participants may submit more than one entry. Contestants can only win one Reward, however, and only their highest scoring piece will count in this regard.

Entries may represent any BrikWars tone, style, etcetera. The BrikVerse is a wildly diverse setting and the purpose of this contest is to encourage more awesome new content.

Judges

Judging of the entries will commence immediately following the contest, beginning August 1, 2019, and will end no later than August 14, 2019. The final scores will be announced and formalized in this thread on August 15, 2019.

For the 2019 Contest, the following are Judges:
  • MadMario
  • aoffan23
  • Kastrenzo
The following are Secondary Judges:
  • AnnoyedZebra
Judges will view each entry and score it based on the following categories:
  • Style -- Relating to the concept of the build, the inventiveness and creativity of the build, particularly any NPU, the technical skill with which the concept is rendered recognizable to the audience.
  • Substance-- Relating to the mechanics of the build, the viability and efficiency of its construction, the actual depth of the piece and the balance between what it conveys and the materials it uses to convey it. The scale and/or the detail of the build are judged here.
  • Photography-- Quality of the build's photography, the use of clean lighting and clear pictures, the capture of the purpose of the piece such that it is clearly conveyed to the audience.
  • Theme, Tie-Breaker Category-- How well the scenic build represents an event that has occurred within the calendar year. How many references can you count (or are pointed out for you)? Is the scene a clear reenactment of the story it is supposed to be representing? Has it been made clear who all the important characters are and is the setting clearly recognizable?
Each Judging Category is rated on a scale from 1-10. The scores from each category will be added together, with the exception of Theme, for a Total Score of between 3 and 30 from each judge. Those scores will be added together for a Final Score which will be compared for the win. Judges, for this contest, we will be attempting a new system wherein you are allowed to score using whatever decimal you wish, as usual, but I will round those score up to the nearest 0.5 score. For example, a 6.69 will become a 7 and a 3.14 will become a 3.5. This is just a test to see if we can make ties more likely without making them overly likely. If any of you math oriented people have a better solution, please, by all means, I am all ears. Let's try to keep it relatively simple, though.

The Theme Score will only be used in the event of a tie between entries.

Judges are encouraged to keep an open, diverse mindset when judging entries as they are not inherently required to adhere to any particular interpretation of Kanon or individually preferred tone. In short, we all have a good general idea of what constitutes as Brikwarsy but a great many of us have some pretty different ideas about the specifics.

Judges may enter the contest as Participants (see above) but may not judge their own entries. Instead, the Secondary Judge will take their place in the scoring of those particular pieces.

Rewards

The 1st Place Winner will earn the unique title of "Master of Ceremonies" and an associated badge, which will be pinned to the winning post and generally used however the winner sees fit (such as its inclusion into their forum signature).

The second and third place winners will also receive titles and badges, joining the ranks of BrikWars Nobility, with "Director" and "Photographer," respectively.

ImageImageImage

Enjoy the Buildoff! Happy BrikBuilding and, as always, Have Fun.

Go To: 2019 Entries, Final Scores, and Winners

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Re: The 2,019 June July Jamboree

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:49 pm

Judges, anyone?

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:47 am

I hereby volunteer.
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:20 pm

I just need a couple more judges, please.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:49 pm

I'll take a judge spot!
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage
all I have is anthrax and rage

Post by Kastrenzo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:05 am

I rarely participate in events, So I guess I'll offer to judge.
Faction Index - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:34 am

Thank you, judge slots are now filled.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:51 pm

Friendly reminder: About half a month to go. Please get those entries in.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:49 pm

To be entirely clear, judges should in no way feel obligated to judge an entry from a banned person.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:31 pm

3-4 more days left in this.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:21 pm

Last day for entries, please.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:36 am

The contest is now closed. Judges, please commence judging.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:52 pm

I still need scores from a judge and I can wrap this up.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:10 am

2019 Entries and Final Scores

Thanks to all participants for your entries into this year's Jamboree.

Well done and congratulations. Less entries this year but we had some really inspiring stuff and some great callbacks to the community at large as well as to popular individual lore. I do hope we see a pickup in the coming contests and the next year's Jamboree but overall I'm really satisfied with what we've achieved this year.

The 2,019 June July Jamboree Winner

ninja_bait
For the Scene "The Last Quantumsupper"

Second Place Winner

Bookwyrm
For the Scene "Return of the Sigfig"

Third Place Winner

Kaplan
For the Scene "M-Throne Tank Factory"

Kaplan
Supercharged Tank
Supercharged Tank

Post by Kaplan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:29 am

Thanks quantum and judges for your effort. This is my first "photographer" bagde :)