BW 2018 Feedback

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Re: BW 2018 Feedback

Post by Bragallot » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:39 pm

16-year old me was very eager to get his minifigs into the thick of it (I remember in Grave Tidings they just had attack and defense values, I didn't even roll for skill) so it's entirely possible I just glanced over it. :) I definitely remember the Inevitable Betrayal ones though.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Post by Falk » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:45 pm

So has overskill been changed to +1dX on a roll of 6+ on any die? I'm a bit confused by that section.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:50 pm

The previous thing I noticed was just something small and potentially ambiguous, but this entire part seems to still describe minifigs fighting with multiple maneuvers:
Close Combat Engagement
While in Close Combat, minifigs are locked into an intense struggle, attacking and countering on both their own and their enemies' turns with as many weapons as they have available in hand, until one side is defeated or makes a shameful retreat.

On a minifig's own turn, he is the active combatant who drives the course of Close Combat. He can use an Action to Engage his opponents aggressively with a combination of Attacks, Grabs, and Shoves. If he's feeling cowardly, he can attempt to Withdraw from Close Combat, although this often doesn't end well. If he has more important things to focus on than pesky foes poking him with swords, he can even choose to Ignore them entirely, although they can't be relied on to extend the same courtesy.

Once the minifig is set on a course of action (or inaction, if he's Ignoring his opponents), his opponents can try to Counter it. Targets of aggressive maneuvers can try to Parry them to reduce or nullify their effects, or to Bail out of the way as a last resort. Most importantly, regardless of which Close Combat maneuver a minifig chooses, all of his surviving opponents have the chance to make a Counterattack on him afterwards.

A minifig in Close Combat can use each of his held weapons or empty hands once on each player's turn, whether to Attack, Grab, Shove, or Parry on his own turn, or to Parry or Counterattack on each of his opponents' turns. If a minifig Engages an enemy and has another weapon or hand he hasn't used yet, he may choose to make a second aggressive maneuver, granting his opponents another chance to Parry and Counterattack.

This process can be repeated indefinitely if the attacker is some fantastic creature with extra limbs, but regular minifigs are limited to two weapons each.

As long as they have one or more weapons or hands they haven't used yet in the turn, minifigs in Close Combat can always Counter a Maneuver or make a Counterattack, even if they've already spent their Action on something else. Either way, their Action is considered spent afterwards.
The order of attack part below it, as well. And in the Yoko and Dan example Dan blocks and counterattacks in Yoko's turn. For me it's already cleared up but it might confuse some people.
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:00 pm

Yeah, I was a bit confused by that part too.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:10 pm

Just read the part about Word Heroes. :) Pretty sure it's new, and a good addition. :) The worst part about those types of feats was keeping track of the stat modifiers they often caused (most of the time I simply forgot).
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:48 pm

Bragallot wrote:The previous thing I noticed was just something small and potentially ambiguous, but this entire part seems to still describe minifigs fighting with multiple maneuvers:
That's from the 2010 rules. The 2018 rules are here: http://brikwars.com/rules/draft/5.htm#2
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Falk wrote:So has overskill been changed to +1dX on a roll of 6+ on any die? I'm a bit confused by that section.
Whoa, what the hell, you're still alive? I'm a bit confused by your return from the grave!

Overskill has been replaced by Over the Top Action, since Skill has been replaced with Action in BW2018. OtT is described here: http://brikwars.com/rules/draft/4.htm#2

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:48 pm

stubby wrote:
Falk wrote:So has overskill been changed to +1dX on a roll of 6+ on any die? I'm a bit confused by that section.
Whoa, what the hell, you're still alive? I'm a bit confused by your return from the grave!

Overskill has been replaced by Over the Top Action, since Skill has been replaced with Action in BW2018. OtT is described here: http://brikwars.com/rules/draft/4.htm#2
Haha yes, I am back. I've been active on the discord for the past 6 months or so. Feels good to be back.

So what I'm confused in that section is the difference between critical action rolls adding an extra die on a 6+, but d4s still get crits? Does this only apply to d4 damage dice, or can d4 action dice give crits as well? I think I understand the OtT effect but the wording on the d4 exception is a bit confusing to me.

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:57 am

I think it simply means that if you're Incompetent and have d4 skill you're never going to get Overskill / Over The Top Actions because it requires a roll of 6 or higher, but regular critical successes still apply. So you would get a bonus die if you rolled a 4 on a d4.
any die that comes up on its highest-numbered face (an 8 on a d8, a 12 on a d12) generates a Bonus d6 for the roll (with the exception of the d4, which only ever generates Bonus d4s).
However it also says it's 'relatively unlikely' that a d4 would take an Action Over The Top so I guess if added up you got more than 6 on an Action Roll you'd still be getting the 1d6 Over The Top die.

@stubby: Doh. I assumed we were discussing the updated rules since I was actually noticing stuff that was new in the 2010 ones.
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

stubby

Post by stubby » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:20 am

Bragallot wrote:However it also says it's 'relatively unlikely' that a d4 would take an Action Over The Top so I guess if added up you got more than 6 on an Action Roll you'd still be getting the 1d6 Over The Top die.
Well -- unlikely in the sense of impossible unless your die is hacked.

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:32 am

Ah, so it has to come from 1 roll. Not 4 + 2 (from the critical success bonus) = '6' = Over The Top.
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:05 pm

Once the active minifig has targeted an opponent with a maneuver, the target can try to Parry it to reduce or nullify its effects. Minifigs don't need to have an unspent Action to attempt a Parry, as long as they haven't used the hand or object they're Parrying with during the turn. This spends their Action if it wasn't spent already.

As a last resort, if a target minifig has nothing to Parry with, he can try Bailing out of the way as a Response Action (4.3: Enemy Response). This can save him from the effects of one Close Combat maneuver, but leaves him Disrupted and defenseless against any subsequent ones.

A minifig Parries by making an Action Roll against the Use rating of the weapon or object he is Parrying with. When Parrying, Ranged weapons are treated as Minifig Tools (Use:3) rather than using their Ranged Attack stats. Bare Hands have Use:0, meaning that Bare-Handed Parries rarely fail except in Critical Failures or when there are significant Action penalties
So do you still parry against your shield's UR or against the attacker's action roll/UR?
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:39 pm

Texhnophille wrote:
A minifig Parries by making an Action Roll against the Use rating of the weapon or object he is Parrying with. When Parrying, Ranged weapons are treated as Minifig Tools (Use:3) rather than using their Ranged Attack stats. Bare Hands have Use:0, meaning that Bare-Handed Parries rarely fail except in Critical Failures or when there are significant Action penalties
So do you still parry against your shield's UR or against the attacker's action roll/UR?
You already quoted the answer:
A minifig Parries by making an Action Roll against the Use rating of the weapon or object he is Parrying with.

SynchingShip
Champion
Champion

Post by SynchingShip » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:38 pm

New artwork looks pretty sweet, I gotta say

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Some updates today.

I updated chapter 10 with a section for default animal stats, including updated basic attacks - bite attacks now get a bonus Grab and an increased Action die, and ram and kick attacks get a bonus Shove.

Commanders got changed a little bit to fit into the new Campaign rules, and to force their team to work for their Strategy bricks.

And the Campaign rules are continuing to get filled in as usual.