Test

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Magic Soap, Thesson

Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage

Test

Post by Kastrenzo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:12 am

Testing something after rayhawk informed me most of my content links are now broken fro Flickr.

ImageVorhut Paladin Gunner by Kastrenzo, on Flickr

Image20190521_002506 by Kastrenzo, on Flickr
Faction Index - Battleplates Chronology - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.

Kastrenzo

Re: Test

Post by Kastrenzo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:13 am

I'm not sure what's up. The artwork is from the other day. But the Lego pic is from months ago and its broke on the thread it was originally posted in

CaLego420
Champion
Champion

Post by CaLego420 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:10 am

Yeah most of your stuff is currently broke, unfortunately. I recently put in a ticket about my own posting on the forums; I can easily link the pictures or a whole series thereof, but when I hit "submit" suddenly the forum dies and all my progress is lost in the brikvoid of netherspace that seems to keep the forums going. That or stubbs pissed off some witchy poo and she put a curse on this place. Neither answer would surprise me.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:41 am

You two are the main flickr posters right now, so I wonder if something changed on their end.

The flickr pages your images link to are still intact, and the images are still there. But the addresses pointing to the images themselves have changed. You can BBCode the new locations and they work just fine, but for whatever reason they broke the old links.

Usually if a post works in preview but not in submit, it means you're getting an image verification timeout - the forum checks on submit to make sure all the images are legit and fit in the image limits. (I've turned off most of the limits, but it still has to do the "is the linked file really an image" check.)

There's a couple of reasons the image check might have slowed down enough to start triggering timeouts on large posts; maybe flickr's file delivery changed, maybe the brikwars server is slower than usual; hard to say. In the meantime the best strategy is to break your big posts up into smaller posts.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Kastrenzo

Post by Kastrenzo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:33 am

Upon looking into this, i copied the exact text from a post, and then tried to share the same picture as it is in my account right now.

I do not recall doing any changes, but it's possible. it seems to me that the extra numbers here on the end might be to do with albums. Because if I was to erase that entire second sequence of numbers and pump it into the browser, it still sends me to the same picture on flickr.

I think this might have been a combonation of me making a change, and then flickr making a change.. thus breaking everything.

what's curious is that it doesn't appear my faction profile pictures have broken on the website. they were definetley moved around to different albums, too...

ugh

Kastrenzo

Post by Kastrenzo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:37 am

https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us ... 518593012/ yahoo to amazon migration out of the blue, causing fuck-ups and no warning, is also a distinct possibility

CaLego420
Champion
Champion

Post by CaLego420 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:56 pm

stubby wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:41 am
Usually if a post works in preview but not in submit, it means you're getting an image verification timeout - the forum checks on submit to make sure all the images are legit and fit in the image limits. (I've turned off most of the limits, but it still has to do the "is the linked file really an image" check.)

There's a couple of reasons the image check might have slowed down enough to start triggering timeouts on large posts; maybe flickr's file delivery changed, maybe the brikwars server is slower than usual; hard to say. In the meantime the best strategy is to break your big posts up into smaller posts.
I had considered that as a possible problem and thusly broke up most of my stuff into the smaller blocks as well as used the "medium 640xWhatever" image limit size (for comparison: the forums will only let me post in small distinct blocks, when it feels like it, and only then if some word-to-image errors aren't contradicting something somewhere. "<a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a>" is something i always overlook then when i use the phrase in posting it comes back as ["sir/img/]<a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a>[word/img"] or something to that effect. I am guessing someone at somepoint used that as a character name, possibly it made a top rated linked thread, and therefore carried over to everything else...forever?).

"Opening Doors" in its entirety was done before halloween and i'm light years into other stuff. Which I'll someday get around to posting.

Edit: I wasn't kidding about the A lot thing and sure enough there it is. That is something that is obviously a problem.

Kastrenzo

Post by Kastrenzo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:57 pm

Spoke to the community on flickr

it was my fault

every time you change the privacy settings of an image, it sets in motion the changing of the URL, and even if you change it back to public, it'll still make a unique URL invalidating all older ones.

I had breifly made many of my soaps private as I do keep something of a flickr following too, and I didn't want my fans and followers seeing the soap stuff, and getting confused because they were supposed to be images in an order, as part of a story, and it'd be confusing.

that said, i Have fixed the 2 broken soaps, there are 2 broken battles though, I will fix the 2nd battle of Isere, but i wont bother fixing the 1st, if people still want to look at the pictures all they have to do is click on the hyperlinks, they still work, the bbcode just doesn't display them.

a couple other things. I'm reducing all of my pics going forward to 50% of their previous size, so they wont be downscaled 4096px images, they'll be 2048 or lower. might help things serverside a bit, both for us and flickr

lastly, I'm experimenting with a new soap style, of actual on screen captions and narration, I have already started doing on screen special effects like muzzle flashes and gunshots. I'll continue to do brick built blood and some other things.

I'm just wanting to improve my production quality a little, so I might introduce my work to the lego community outside of brikwars, since soaps are kind of my favorite thing to do.