How Sci-Fi Shows are wrong.

Also, butts.

Moderators: Blitzen, Almighty Benny, Falk

Steel_Valkyrie
Also sounding like a whiny bitch

How Sci-Fi Shows are wrong.

Post by Steel_Valkyrie » Mon May 02, 2016 9:00 pm

First of all, Traveling back in time and changing something wouldn't work. If you went back to try, You couldn't, because you Didn't. For example, Three guys get drunk and try to stop Piltogg with a time machine. They travel back in time and try to launch an assault on Germany. Turns out, they attacked over the polish border and Started the war. Besides, that's assuming some Egghead can calculate the exact position that they were in the universe, for the earth is a spinning planet orbiting the sun at extremely high speeds. Make one mistake in calculating the position, and the idiots you threw in the machine, (assuming the fickle laws of the universe allow it at all) Will be sucking on vacuum or, if it's a small error, inside the ground. Back on target, There's nothing about you changing history in the books today, and Since time travel is going back and forth on this universe's common timeline, you would just be warping back into our history, where nothing was changed, and back again, where nothing was changed. (However, if someone eventually does perfect time travel, I'm betting they went back to biblical times. (Ever read the book of Ezekiel?)

Next. Why the Fuck do spaceships always come at each other all right-side-up and on a 2-D plane? Space is not flat, and, assuming that the spaceship took off at a random point from it's origin planet, it wouldn't have an up or down. Spaceships would come at each other from every angle, and at every rotation, and To dock, they would have to align themselves to each other. And why does every damaged ship tilt to the side and stop moving? Wouldn't they take some rotation or spin if there was an explosion? Assuming they have no inertial dampeners, if they don't fall into something's gravity, it would spin and keep moving until acted upon by something. Now, assuming somehow that ships would be able to orient themselves with Einstein's Theory of space being a Unimaginative Mat-like plane, there still would be no up or down due to the absence of gravity, and ships would come at each other seemingly upside-down. Every show ever, including Star Trek and Firefly got this wrong.

Finally. I think, therefore, I am. I can only prove absolutely that I am the only being in the universe like me, as far as I know, you could all be a simulation to learn the reactions of the "Human" race, and/or everything I know is a figment of my imagination. Assuming you also think and only know that you think, the same would be true for you, and I could be an aspect of a computer program or something nudging you the truth.

I swear I'm not drunk.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Re: How Sci-Fi Shows are wrong.

Post by RedRover » Mon May 02, 2016 9:18 pm

I wish you were drunk

Steel_Valkyrie

Post by Steel_Valkyrie » Mon May 02, 2016 9:24 pm

RedRover wrote:I wish you were drunk
Why? Because it's scary to see someone think like this sane?

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Mon May 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Steel_Valkyrie wrote:
RedRover wrote:I wish you were drunk
Why? Because it's scary to see someone think like this sane?
No, because drunk people on the forums is fun

Steel_Valkyrie

Post by Steel_Valkyrie » Mon May 02, 2016 9:30 pm

My renaissance faire guild would love the forums

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Mon May 02, 2016 10:57 pm

This is the most deep and philosophical thread I've ever read. Motion to sticky this topic to Marblecake to show those losers how it's done.
Just Monika

Steel_Valkyrie

Post by Steel_Valkyrie » Mon May 02, 2016 11:04 pm

I don't know weather to be proud or offended....

lordintype
something different

Post by lordintype » Tue May 03, 2016 12:23 am

I don't know about where you are, but the weather here appears to be sulking
That's Supersonic Spaghetti Warrior to you, sir.

The real Piltogg was the friends we made along the way.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Tue May 03, 2016 12:53 am

Steel_Valkyrie wrote:I don't know weather to be proud or offended....
Natalya might delete this post because she doesn't want other people to seem smarter than her.

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Tue May 03, 2016 6:54 am

Steel_Valkyrie wrote:there still would be no up or down due to the absence of gravity
Wrong, the gravitational pull of your mum permeates all of space.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Steel_Valkyrie

Post by Steel_Valkyrie » Tue May 03, 2016 7:39 am

dilanski wrote:
Steel_Valkyrie wrote:there still would be no up or down due to the absence of gravity
Wrong, the gravitational pull of your mum permeates all of space.
Nah, that's scientifically false.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue May 03, 2016 9:03 am

Steel_Valkyrie wrote:First of all, Traveling back in time and changing something wouldn't work. If you went back to try, You couldn't, because you Didn't.
Nah. All you have to do is go back in time, change something, then eliminate all the evidence so that you couldn't tell it had been changed until some time after you left for your time travel. Your efforts at hiding the evidence would work, because they already did.
Steel_Valkyrie wrote:Next. Why the Fuck do spaceships always come at each other all right-side-up and on a 2-D plane?
Whenever you hear a captain in a sci-fi show say "come about," that's what it means. It's a nautical term for bringing your ship into alignment. You hear it in Star Trek a lot when the Enterprise encounters other vessels.
Steel_Valkyrie wrote:And why does every damaged ship tilt to the side and stop moving? Wouldn't they take some rotation or spin if there was an explosion?
Tilt and motion are relative in space, where there's no absolute frame of reference. An object is only "tilted" or "moving" in relation to other objects. If there are no planets or stars nearby, there's no difference between standing still and half-lightspeed.

Rotating objects in space slow down after awhile, despite what you might think. Relativistic frame dragging, microcollisions with their own explosive debris, etc. The rotation and orbits of the earth and the moon are both measurably slowing down over time, for instance, but billions of times slower than your average spaceship, since they have billions of times more inertia. I was just talking to a satellite engineer over the weekend, by weird coincidence, who was explaining how satellites regularly need to course-correct with programmed gas bursts in order to make up for the slowing over time.

Especially in the absence of other nearby gravitational wells, at least some portion of a ship's explosive gas and debris particles will remain in the gravitational well of the ship itself, and continue pinging against the ship and acting as a very slow damper on the rotation over time.
Steel_Valkyrie wrote:Finally. I think, therefore, I am. I can only prove absolutely that I am the only being in the universe like me, as far as I know, you could all be a simulation to learn the reactions of the "Human" race, and/or everything I know is a figment of my imagination. Assuming you also think and only know that you think, the same would be true for you, and I could be an aspect of a computer program or something nudging you the truth.
This is a stretch. Thinking only proves that something exists to do the thinking, but not that the thing you think of as "you" is what's doing the thinking. Even what you think of as "you" could just as easily be a computer program playing a pre-recorded script of a brain thinking that it exists.
Steel_Valkyrie wrote:
dilanski wrote:Wrong, the gravitational pull of your mum permeates all of space.
Nah, that's scientifically false.
Is it? The matter that makes up your mom has been around for a long time, and its gravitational pull propagates at light speed. Until the expansion of the universe accelerates to exceed that velocity, it's hard to prove that there is any part of the universe that hasn't felt the effects of your mom's fat ass.
Silverdream wrote:
Steel_Valkyrie wrote:I don't know weather to be proud or offended....
Natalya might delete this post because she doesn't want other people to seem smarter than her.
Is she still around? I haven't seen her in like, whole days.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Post by Zahru II » Tue May 03, 2016 12:11 pm

You are upset about made-up things.
Go outside, have a walk, learn Sanskrit or practice crocheting.
There are better things in life than being upset about made-up things.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue May 03, 2016 4:58 pm

Zahru II wrote:You are upset about made-up things.
No I'm not! Natalya actually exists!

Although I've never met her in person. Wait a minute...

What if Natalya is actually a Warhead alt?
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Steel_Valkyrie

Post by Steel_Valkyrie » Tue May 03, 2016 5:21 pm

stubby wrote:Whenever you hear a captain in a sci-fi show say "come about," that's what it means. It's a nautical term for bringing your ship into alignment. You hear it in Star Trek a lot when the Enterprise encounters other vessels.
Okay, that's assuming they can tell up from down. Being arrogant, we'd probably make the north pole the "up" side. But what explains that every other alien ship also comes at enterprise completely level and flat to them? Wouldn't their species have an "Up" of it's own? And why does everything happen in 2D? All the ships are at the same level.
stubby wrote:there's no difference between standing still and half-lightspeed.
But they always say "Full-stop" to investigate some wreck.
stubby wrote:it's hard to prove that there is any part of the universe that hasn't felt the effects of your mom's fat ass.
Technically, It has. Everything in the universe feels the pull of everything else. It's usually very, very, very small, Enough to call "Inconsequential"
stubby wrote:This is a stretch. Thinking only proves that something exists to do the thinking, but not that the thing you think of as "you" is what's doing the thinking. Even what you think of as "you" could just as easily be a computer program playing a pre-recorded script of a brain thinking that it exists.
Yep, and Still, My argument stands. "I" would then be the computer, and "I" would still only Know that "I" am the only one capable of free thought.