Fourth Annual BrikWars Battle Contest
Welcome, BrikWarriors, to the dawn of a glorious new Rekonstruktion! In some places, the streets are swept clean, the fields are lush and green, the sun dappled forests are thickly boughed, and the majestic peaks stand tall and proud. The army regulars are all lined up in neat little rows, their equipment shiny and new, their uniforms starched and absent of explosive debris. Freshly painted starships sit in their docks with weapons systems fully charged while creatures and critters on planets far below scent the air for the coming danger. Because in other places, the battle has always been and always will be. Minifigs stand, blades dripping blood, in piles of corpses as lasers lance overhead and topple the last remnants of once great empires. Realities smash together and collectively reassemble. The whole BrikVerse heaves in a breath of newly minted, grade-a, fresh friggin' air as the New Year rolls in.
Those wishing to participate in the contest should submit an original battle report via a new thread in the Reports from the Field forum between January 21, 2020 and February 21, 2020, including the identifier tag [RK20] in the title.
Participants may also submit Forum or Chat Battles via the Forum Battles forum with the same identifier tag in the title, provided that those entries are begun and ended within the contest's timeframe. Incomplete Forum or Chat battles may still be considered for judging at the request of the Entrant but it should be kept in mind that the judges may dock the report points in any category for being incomplete.
Participants may submit more than one entry. Contestants can only win one Reward, however, and only their highest scoring piece will count in this regard.
Entries may represent any BrikWars tone, style, etcetera. The BrikVerse is a wildly diverse setting and the purpose of this contest is to encourage more awesome new content. In terms of general theme, keep in mind the New Rekon and its implications. Entrants may feel free to continue older storylines in new ways but should also not feel beholden to any existing Kanon (basic common courtesy and community groundrules notwithstanding).
Judging of the entries will commence immediately following the contest, beginning February 22, 2020, and will end no later than February 29, 2020. The final scores will be announced and formalized in this thread on March 1, 2020.
For the 2020 Contest, the following are Judges:
- Space Bunny
- Fun -- Relating to the conceptual gameplay, the inventiveness of the actions taken during the game, the tactics striven for, the general level of amusement and shenanigans, and overall "wow" factor.
- Violence-- Relating to the mechanical gameplay, the clever and creative use of (rather than strict adherence to) the general rules to keep the game fast and fresh, the amount of straight up action movie carnage wrought, the general level of conflict (whether abstract or visceral).
- Photography-- Quality of the build's photography, the use of clean lighting and clear pictures, the capture of the purpose of the piece such that it is clearly conveyed to the audience, the appropriate capture of the action and turmoil of the piece, the overall visual attractiveness of the playing field, the characters and armies involved in the conflict, and the action of that conflict.
- Writing-- Overall quality of the writing, consistency of appropriate tone and pacing, clarity of characters and narration, general level of originality, and accessibility of emotional or cerebral engagement.
- TIEBREAKER CATEGORY--Story-- Every battle tells a story, even if it's a simple one. This tiebreaker category is used to judge the overall quality of that story or concept and how well it was conveyed through the combination of the report's general gameplay, photography, and writing. Secondarily, judges may wish to use this category to judge how well the theme of the New Year was pushed by the story the report told. The THEME this year is "New Beginnings." Please use this opportunity to launch new storylines, new characters, and entirely new universes if it takes your fancy.
Judges may enter the contest as Participants (see above) but may not judge their own entries. Instead, the Secondary Judge will take their place in the scoring of those particular pieces.
The 1st Place Winner will become our BrikWars Monarch of 2,020, join the ranks of BrikWars Royalty, and gain full on bragging rights. They will also earn a unique custom badge, which will be pinned to the winning post and generally used however the winner sees fit (such as its inclusion into their forum signature).
Previous Monarchs and Royal Courts
The previous year's Monarch has the transition period of the contest's duration to issue any last minute ridiculous decrees.
- Silent-sigfig, 2016
- Colette, 2017
- Kommander Ken
Enjoy the Kickoff and the New Year! Happy BrikWarring and, as always, Have Fun.
Go To: 2020 Entries, Final Scores, and Winner